Lamp body for 4 MC-E - comments welcome- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Lamp body for 4 MC-E - comments welcome

I have spent some time designing a compact Ali housing for 4 MC-E with a hipFlex.

Here is the front view:

and the read view:

The body dimensions are 68x68x37 mm and it is designed to fit square Ledil optics.

The rear compartment will house the Hipflex and it will be closed with plastic. I plan to use a remote button, fixed to the brake lever with Velcro.

Now I have a problem - what is the best way to fix this light to the handlebars? Preferably with a quick-release.

mtbr member
    That's really going to be a block-o-light! Is it supposed to hang from the bars? Maybe a mount like the one that Deesta's light uses (though hopefully not the same one since they seem to be getting scarce), with the light held in front and hanging from the bar, that may protect it from getting bumped, or somebody snacking on it when their face gets too close to the bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Huffy, you are right - the best place would be under the handlebars. At first I was thinking about using gun rail mounts but are the threads in aluminium strong enough for prolonged use?

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike
    Huffy, you are right - the best place would be under the handlebars. At first I was thinking about using gun rail mounts.
    I have used gun rail mounts with excellent success. I leave them on the bike when the light is not attached and they look a little odd, but apart from aesthetics, all is good.

If you are creative with your mounting technique, you might even be able to use them to bleed a little heat to the bars.

mtbr member
    You could look at making a rear plate that would fit the Hope Stem plate. My housings are now fully compatible and it keeps the light really low on the bars. Not quick release though but it is only one screw to remove the light housing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty
    If you are creative with your mounting technique, you might even be able to use them to bleed a little heat to the bars.
    Really? The mounts I have from DX have a textile layer inside, so they won't transfer much heat.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike
    Really? The mounts I have from DX have a textile layer inside, so they won't transfer much heat.
    said creativity would require textile layer to be removed.

Members who have read this thread: 0