Kaidomain "Highly efficient" Driver- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kaidomain "Highly efficient" Driver

I have been using the Kaidomain "highly efficient" driver, formerly the Kennan driver for a little while now on a few differetn applications and thought I would share some info (I have been getting all kinds of info from everyone here for the past year!!)

Link to driver: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDeta...ProductId=1640

OK, the new version of it with the AX2002 IC chip is awesome. I puts out right at 1000 ma no matter what the input voltage is... from 4.8-16v (my batteries only go up to 16v so I have not tried to go any higher. At 1000 ma I am getting right at 92% efficiency... not bad.

Now, the good parts... I have been trying to figure out how to drive multiple XPE's without spending a fortune on the task led drivers. I have tried all of the "Super output" and MCE/P7 drivers from Kaidomain and DX with no luck. They all seem to run way to hot and way inneficient... not good (I have a very nice selection of drivers now though) I finally went ahead a set up the ax2002 driver in a few various ways with excellent results...

First off, I am running one light with 3xpe in series (9.21v). I changed the resistor on the driver so that it is putting out 520ma and am running the light with a 3s 18650 2200mah pack (11.1v). Well, it works awesome!! Much better than an identical light with a fatman. Efficiency is right at 91% (fatman 85% with 7.4v), and the light does not dim until about 20 minutes before the pack cuts out... which works as a warning it is going to get dark (the fatman just shuts off) Best part is, I get 4+ hours of usable light off that pack before the dimming starts.

The second light is set up with 4xpe running 2s2p and the driver putting out 1020ma. I am getting a little better efficiency with this one... 93%. If I run it with a 2s li battery (7.4v) the light runs great until the last 20 minutes, then dims noticeably and shuts off... perfect! If I run it with the 11.1v pack... runs the entire time until it shuts off (no dimming, li pcb cuts light off)

The drivers run very cool, and you can not tell any difference at all in the light between these and the fatman/maxflex/bflex that I have tested against... except for the $4.00 price tag and no additional modes.

I have yet to kill one of these drivers or to get a bad one. I have rigged a couple of them up with a pot and one with dimming and they all work fine. I have even run one at 1500 ma, wired 3xpe in parallel and it worked fine (the ic did get a little warm, but not bad)

Anyway, just wanted to share my findings with this one... this version is lightyears better than the old Kennan driver!

mtbr member
    i have used this driver to run 2 XRE's in series off 9.6v and it works great.

Post up some images of your mods using the pot as i know i would like to see how you wired up the driver, as it does not come pre wired which catches many people out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I bought 6 of this drivers when they were $3.43

mtbr member
    In this thread at candlepowerforums there are pics of the dimming mod... these are what I used. There is also efficiency data on a graph, however my testing produced a little different results. I am not sure if I calculated efficiency different, or if I had better efficiency tests due to the use of multiple emitters or what the difference is, however I used the same equipment and ran the same tests on all of the drivers that I have, so it is an apples to apples comparison of the task led driver.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=189547&page=5

Next thing that I am going to try is adding a low voltage indicator light, and a low voltage warning to it. Also, I am a total electronics newbie but have been learning a lot over the past couple of months... pretty fun stuff!

mtbr member
    Awesome info, thanks for posting it. I have been looking for some other driver to use with a PICAXE for control, and this may be the one, or I may just use the chip as a basis for an all in one PICAXE + driver,

mtbr member
    While checking for a datasheet for the ax2002 chip I found this link with a load of useful info:

http://www.videofoundry.co.nz/ianman...e=stepdown_low

mtbr member
    OK, may be a dumb question, but what is a PICAXE? I assume that it is not used for mining gold... what exactly does it do and what is it for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    OK, may be a dumb question, but what is a PICAXE? I assume that it is not used for mining gold... what exactly does it do and what is it for?

'PICAXE is the name of a UK-sourced microcontroller system based on a range of Microchip PICs. There are 13 PICAXE variants of differing pin counts from 8 to 40 pins. Initially marketed for use in education and by electronics hobbyists, they are also used in commercial and technical fields, including rapid prototype development. All use pre-loaded factory bootstrap interpretation code to allow user generated programs to be downloaded using a simple RS-232 serial connection.' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICAXE

Still dont know what it means though!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    PICAXE are are super simple PIC (programmable microcontroller) which can be programmed with a serial port (or USB to serial adapter) and some resistors. The built in bootstrap code is really the beauty of the little buggers and saves a lot of expense and frustration IMHO. What Piesoup posted sums them up, except to add that they only require knowledge (or a small bit of learning) of BASIC programming to get up and running and there are great docs for them.

The main benefit of using PICAXE for LED control is that most of them also have built in pins to do PWM out (so you can control dimming / modes on many drivers such as the KD "highly efficient" driver's IC, the Shark or Buckpuck), and the other pins can be used for whatever else. The 08M ($3 US) is probably all that is needed, and should be plenty to do a PWM driver with modes and maybe some other function like a battery monitor (using an ADC input on the PIC).

In case you are interested, the main site is here:

http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/
    (good docs can be found under the datasheets > all datasheets > picaxe manuals 1-3)

This is a good place to but them in the US:

http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/picaxe.html

Aside from a serial cable / USB to serial programmer, a cheap breadboard and an assortment of cheap 1/4 watt resistors and jumper wires is pretty much all that is needed to design with these - well that and a 5v power supply like this one:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=114

Or you could just use 3AA batteries.

Now for a question (kind of a shot in the dark)- does anyone know where the AX2002 (or AX2003 - 4A driver) IC's can be purchased? Otherwise I will probably order the KD driver and use it as-is with external pwm control as suggested or pull the IC off if I get ambitious.

Members who have read this thread: 0