K2 headlight at Target- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

K2 headlight at Target

Target is the first store to carry a K2, in a discount chain in a headlight, on sale
    for 24 bucks right now, nice tight spot, bright tight area of fill around the spot, not the small
    spot and dim useless fill of most one watt luxeons, and I have nice ones I used for a helmet light for a long time. It at least 3 times brighter than a one watt luxeon. Awful
    flashing mode, but three levels of brightness. 3 AA pack, flex cable, mounted on the helmet through the holes with velcro straps, its small enough, and has down angle adjustment. Yeah, I know its cheap, but o rings in the battery case, and it works. Good backup light, I was surprised it put out light at that level.

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Palmer
    Target is the first store to carry a K2, in a discount chain in a headlight, on sale
    for 24 bucks right now, nice tight spot, bright tight area of fill around the spot, not the small
    spot and dim useless fill of most one watt luxeons, and I have nice ones I used for a helmet light for a long time. It at least 3 times brighter than a one watt luxeon. Awful
    flashing mode, but three levels of brightness. 3 AA pack, flex cable, mounted on the helmet through the holes with velcro straps, its small enough, and has down angle adjustment. Yeah, I know its cheap, but o rings in the battery case, and it works. Good backup light, I was surprised it put out light at that level.
    Do you have a Product Name or SKU or something to look for on the shelves??

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

Mar 2007
    K2 LED head light, River Rock designs
    16 plus hours run time
    powered by Luxeon
    River Rock Designs
    Austin Tex.
    www.RiverRockdesigns.com
    R-HLX1913AA
    on sale for 24.00,
    Luxeon K2 white light
    DC boost circuit for light output
    throughout entire battery life

85 lumens high, (read 60 max) still good
    42 med
    21 low
    flashing, (awful), 36 hours

Mar 2007
    More on the River Rock K2, did some research on line, hikers have bought it and raved about the light throw, and complained about the tight focus and lack of flood. A hiker would not like the 2 ft spot right at their feet, the spot at 40ft is about 6 ft in diameter, in center of a lighter fill area of 12 ft or so, the light had throw out to 100 ft, big spot, but still putting out light beyond 100 ft, even on a street with some area lighting. I tested it off the trail, where the cooling might be an issue, sitting on a table, it got hot, but I did not feel it was in danger of melting. I would not jack the voltage up without a heat sink mod. Heat could be an issue. Quite warm.

I tested it with the light output from a single 1x3 Cree MR16. It was a good spot to flood relationship.

This light is a good helmet light, except for the heat, the plastic, etc.

Mar 2007

Pictures of guts of River Rock K2 headlight

Here are pictures of taken down of a K2 Target River Rock headlight, rode it, bright, wondering about the sink and heat, running two heads on a pack, since its such a compact light, wanted to know about build quaility. O rings on all the bits, tight seals. Battery pack has a little flexible tube that keeps the back from getting lost, good seal. Nice contruction for what it is, here are pics, heat sink is rather light, optics are a pretty decent bit of solid plastic. I am taking this light and rigging it up on the same helmet wired into the pack. Less run time, 8 hrs, more spot. Why not? At 24 bucks per, it might be good light at 60 lumens at least per light?

Riverrock1.jpg

Riverrockoptic2.jpg

Riverrocksink3.jpg

RiverrockK2opticpot4.jpg

RiverrockPCBswitch5.jpg

mtbr member
    I picked one of these up today- pretty amazing for 25 bucks. Nearly as bright as my 12 Watt halogen headlight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I mounted two of these on the handlebars of my road bike. If you use rechargeable batteries don't use this thing if you aren't moving. It gets really hot so if you are not moving you can damage the led and melt the plastic housing.

Mar 2007

K2 River Rock Sound Helmet

I have a couple of these lights, I use them as emergency lights, and lite riding spot, with a much brighter flood on the bar. Solo it will get you back slow, a hot spot, tight, but its a nice little light, do not take it apart, beyond the the head, fragile connections. It gets warm, but I have not had a problem with it, (set it to low if working on the bike.) I like it on a Bell Fraction with head phones screwed to the outside of the thick shell, left half an inch outside of the ear, so someone can yell 'on your left' and I can hear trail sounds. There are those days, when loud, silly, and a blinking light helps the low swampy soul. I do not like ear buds, or built in speakers, just get a cheap easily driven headset and some stainless screws, keep the ear open for trail noise, set the volume to a low level. Safer, if its safe at all to listen. Plus, warn them you are crazy that day with the silly loud skate helmet and the blinking lights. Said with a grin.

Best buy on a light blinking over the blues.

Pictures included.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Warning!

There is a recall on Lumileds Rebel/ K2 leds. You can read about it in the CandlepowerForums. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=186488

I wouldn't buy anything built with a K2 in it for a while.

Mar 2007
    Well, thats interesting, I have had two for four months, have 24 hours intermittant on them, hour at a time, no issues, for 25 bucks, not sure I care with the Target Light. However, all those folks who BUILT lights, using the parts, thats not good. I have wondered about the issues with Epoxy having worked with it, and knowing the yellowing issues, light related failures from sunlight. I built some lights with Cree Xre lights, in 12 volt MR. 16's for floods. No issues so far. If one left the K2 target light on, sitting on a table, it would fry itself. I wonder if anyone has had a Target River Rock K2 fail, bike or hike? Thanks for the tip. No way to know what is in it, take it apart its toast getting it back together.

Members who have read this thread: 0