K-Light Data- Mtbr.com

Thread: K-Light Data

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

K-Light Data Updated. 7.1 hours at 960ma....

Just some info on Kerry's K-Light housing.
    I have had a bunch of emails with questions so thought to answer some of those here

We bench ran it yesterday if front of a fan with a 18.5Volt 4000mah battery and off a full charge(battery approx 21 v) we got over 5 hours of run time at 1 amp output. I know this is over the XPE spec, but as XPG will run at 1A, we needed to make sure the housing can take it. With air over it got warm but not hot. We reckon at 700ma,(spec'd) should deliver 6-8 hours with this size battery

While it comes with a switch and integrated led(for the STAT feature, low battery warning), this is preassambled as a two wire switch and will require you add two wires for the led. We retrofitted one of the Marquardt 3006 Red LED switches and it works well.

The handle bar clamp removal time is around a minute, 10 secs to put on
    Last edited by WeLight; 07-16-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: K-Light Data Updated. 7.1 hours at 960ma....
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So when do you get to test it with the XP-Gs??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    So when do you get to test it with the XP-Gs??

Your peeking in my workshop
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    Hey WeLight,

some more info for ya:

I forgot to mention that only one extra wire is needed for the LED on the switch, the neg of the LED sat, returns via one of the switch wires...

as one of the switch & one of the LED wires are electrically the same as 'power NEG'

so if you like you could run a sat LED & switch to the battery holder...with only 2 extra wires...

However this 3 pin remote plug MUST be polarised.

more questions & pics

Also the XPG should be a little cooler than the XPE for the same current from what I have read...

for testing, I run mine @ 1A & when night riding only get warm to the touch...maybe 30-35 deg C

if you do the math, you see that we are still a long way below the Max Tj temp...

CDCDCD has done a great post on max housing temps....

We are also soon to have this light dive tested.

K

Picture 094 (Small).jpg

mtbr member
    email question:

Great looking light. Another switch question for you: Is there any way to have a switch that is attached to the light body? For me, that is a better option than a remote switch.

reply:

I have thought a little ahead about what you guys would want to change & this was one aspect we worked on...

So by replacing the rear lens for a non drilled one & by removing the cable gland & using a grommet instead, you would then have room on the back lens to mount a small switch. You would have a 24.5mm DIA space to work with to mount your switch & cable exit & would have a 16mm drop behind the lens for the back for the switch, before it comes anywhere near the driver...

I have not done this as I am trying to get this light dive rated & a grommet & extra switch hole is not used for diving as the grommet exit may not waterproof @ depth

You could also do what the DIY pros do, & run some red LEDs out the back lens for a rear red helmet light (for K-light helmet mounting of course)

K
    Last edited by ktronik; 07-15-2009 at 03:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    UPDATED 17th July 09 We just completed a day of testing and this light rocks, using an 18.5V 4000mah LIPO we got 7.1hours of runtime at 960ma before the stat line came on, with simulated air over the housing never got beyond 29 Deg C. I will get some die temp measurements and lumen measurements asap
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    This is a worse case test, full current in still air...

Bflex trips @ 54 degC
    Last edited by ktronik; 08-02-2009 at 05:15 AM.

mtbr member
    K-light moving air test.

Last edited by ktronik; 08-02-2009 at 05:15 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0