Judco switch reliability- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Judco switch reliability

I'm using a Judco 10A latching switch in my sled style lights.
    40-4520-00 Judco Manufacturing Inc | 550PB-ND | DigiKey

Using XML's with NANJ drivers from shinningbeam. They are configured with a separate switch and driver for each led. I built the first set back in Jan. and two of the three switches have already failed. The lights probably only have 20 rides on them. Is anyone else seeing this short of life? Maybe I just got a couple of bad switches?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Iíve had a few that have failed after a season of commuting. Iíve been using Hoffman Ampsí external Judco switch thingies rather than building the switches into my lights. In fact, I believe I will need to be reordering some of the switches soon.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I've built a few lights with Judco switches and El34 has sold probably 100s of them and these are the first failures I've heard of. What's the failure? Lack of latching or no continuity when closed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pry one of the switches open at the seam and see if the copper ring in therehas alot of arc burns on it.
    I had a few do this when I was still building with that switch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I've built a few lights with Judco switches and El34 has sold probably 100s of them and these are the first failures I've heard of. What's the failure? Lack of latching or no continuity when closed?
    no continuity when closed. Latching mechanism is still fine. I'll dissect and post some pics.

mtbr member
    sounds like the contacts burnt out then, which is weird as you shouldn't be anywhere near the rated current.

Hall effect switches FTW, I guess?

mtbr member
    Man, the switch on my newest helmet light started acting up last night. Just built it a month ago. I don't see how my setup could be hurting the switch somehow. Briefly talked to an EE at work last friday and he mentioned that the momentary action used to switch modes is really hard on the contacts with DC current.

For you all that have used this switch with good reliability, are you using a driver similar to the NANJ that requires momentary interruption of power to switch modes?

At least they are cheap

I haven't looked at hall effect switches, but I'm guessing its going to be hard to find something in the same size package.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been using this switch for years and never had a failure. I use the same boards as you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas View Post
    Been using this switch for years and never had a failure. I use the same boards as you are.
    That's a low current momentary switch, correct? How do you have that wired up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That one there is the on/off variety. Just press quickly to make it change modes. It handles the current/voltage no problem though. I wire it into the negative. Battery negative to switch, switch to driver negative.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, sorry I misread the spec's. So that thing is only rated for 250mA and its handling the full current draw from the driver? Wow. Looks like a nice switch, but I'm not sure it will fit in my housings.

Members who have read this thread: 0