Idea for next DIY- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Idea for next DIY

Ok so I was going to tackle a helmet light next but decided to put that on hold. Only because my custom build using a Nitefighter bt21 head (xp-l hi, custom driver etc) is works VERY NICELY for now.

But I wanna do something interesting and smaller for a bar light. This to be used on my trail bike.

Here's my thought. I used triples on the first build, but found 10mm single optics that are the same beam pattern. Should give me same spread and throw per emitter. Which is heavy on spread with a little throw coverage.

So make a 4x light head (got too many 4cell 8.4v packs, need to use them) using 4 xp-l hi emitters using those tiny optics. Reason for 4x is to cut down heat while getting the output I want. Which lets me make a rather small light head. Going to do it out of a 3/4x1.5" aluminum bar. Face plate will be add on from 1/8" flat.

Dimensions would be about 50mm long, 18mm tall (at rear fins and driver bay, rest would be 12-13mm) and 30-35mm deep.

I expect itll run warm but not too hot only being set to push 1600-1800 lumens off.

What do you guys think? Doable?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds very doable. I made a dual XPG helmet light a few years back with the 10mm optics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do...ht-574292.html

I used it a while, but I just was never satisfied with the floody beam. If the XPL-Hi's can tighten the beam up with those tiny optics, it would be cool.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Dude your nuts lol. That little light is very cool!!!

Xp-l hi wont tighten up the spot any, just seems to reduce spill.

BUT that give me an awesome idea for a helmet light hehe. Dedommed XP-G2s.

After seeing how tiny that light is, im feeling far more confident about the idea now. Hopefully I can get it under 50g wired without much trouble. Itll look similar to my now fat bike light (smaller face with taller fins) just alot smaller.

Ps: Ledil has 10mm optics now too, thinking ill give those a go for this, see if beam is better.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    .....Ps: Ledil has 10mm optics now too, thinking ill give those a go for this, see if beam is better.
    That's interesting to hear. I've built 2 lights with Carclo and was never impressed with them. Ledil has always outperformed them IMO.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Well unless you have a build in the works that can get going before me, ill be sure to post how the options do with xp-l hi in them.

RAKC
    Vanc, in my digging through Ledil, found they have 16mm optics as well for XP series emitters. 15deg spot. Get as low as 8deg for xp-l HI if you move up to 21.6 Liela optics. 20deg is about best they got in 10mm optics.

Man I wish Ldeil optics werent twice the price of others, id stock the hell outta them lol. Got others beat for options.