I need some help with my old Nite Rider HID lights.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

I need some help with my old Nite Rider HID lights.

I used to ride and night ride a TON between 1997 and 2006. I had a son and moved from NJ to AR in 2007 and as a result I took 8 years off from riding. Last year I started walking and eating better and lost about 90lbs. This year is going to be my year to get back into MTB. I need my lights.

My other major hobby is model aviation, so I have batteries and chargers covered. I made myself some 11 cell NiMH batteries to power my Niterider Storm and Blowtorch heads.

The dramatic turn is... One of my ballasts is dead. And I can't find one anywhere. Welch Allyn B10N003 would be super easy, I could drop it in and be riding tomorrow. Welch Allyn B10N001 would work well too, I could drop it in, and then power the light with a 3s Lipo which I have plenty of for flying airplanes.

Barring that solution, I have these nifty looking housings, and nifty mounts and stuff. I would be pleased to convert these old HID lights into LED. 3s Lipo (12.6v max, 10v min) would be ideal for the LED conversion.

I appreciate any thoughts. Budget is a concern for sure, but anything cheaper than new lights is a win.

-J

mtbr member
    May 2005
    DIY typically is not cheaper than just buying.

I've never looked closely at the housing for the HID lights. Are they metal? If not, they won't work for a LED conversion as you need the heat sink capability of a metal housing.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had not considered the heat sink. The housings for the HIDs are some sort of composite/high end plastic.

I did find this on ebay: NiteRider HID Replacement Light Ballast Universal Dual Watt Type | eBay

It looks about right, and from what I have found this company bought the HID business from WA 5 years ago. The voltage input range is really exciting, 9-16v is a FAR wider range than my original B10N003 which is 13-14v. And on top of that, it will drive the bulb at 14 watts instead of 10 watts.

I guess I will give that a try.

-J