I just finished my bike lights.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I just finished my bike lights.

I just finished my 3 luxeon leds bike lights. the bike is an enduro by specialized.

Tha basic idea was : https://www.racedaynutrition.com/Fea...bikelight.aspx and thanks for...

the batteries are 2 pieces of 17670 (3.6v/1800mA each in series conection) and they are inside of my enduro's neck.
    The charger is https://shdesigns.org/lionchg.html and it works absolutely perfect.
    I want to say thanks to all of you...

mtbr member
    Top quality workmanship, love the anodised bnc-type connectors!!
    Which lenses did you decide on ?

A waste of time it is is
    Brilliant timing. I am looking at those heat sinks at the moment for a project but can't find what their internal diameter is. Just tried the shopping list link but the link in that is now redundant, any chance you could tell me what the I.D. of those sinks are and where you got them from? I have torch bodies with an O.D. of 25mm.

The build looks great, love the idea of the batteries in the steerer tube and the connectors, what are they and where did you get them.

Thanks

stuart

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26

The build looks great, love the idea of the batteries in the steerer tube and the connectors, what are they and where did you get them.

stuart
    Those are a coax type connector, typically used in RF electronics applications. They are not intended for power connections but at the low power levels that LED lights use they will work. They are not waterproof nor are they designed for frequent connection/disconnection. If you need those features these will not work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hi to all of you...
    The connectors are SMA type , radio frequency connectors ...their advantage is that they are small, waterproof (tested over the last 10 years) excellent quality and i have lot of them around here for my hobby-job (radio amateur ans RF technician)...they can carry 100W at 1Ghz so, they can easy transfer 700mA DC for the rest of their life..
    but the most advanced is that they fit to my enduro's neck without any modification...you just screw it to enduro's stem and go without to drill anything..
    heatsinks are 24mm diameter and i bought them from ebay..they are discontiniued so, i try to find more o f them for my bikes...google search can help...they are designed for 280 motors.
    lenses are excactly what this construction link write http://www.racedaynutrition.com/Features/bikelight.aspx

15d for center and 10d for the rest...but i think that i like more the 10d to the center and 15d for the sides...this light is more compact for me but is a matter of taste...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    sssss... my enduro is charging...

mtbr member

Good job!

Looks great! I went to the site that you referenced, and it looks like your lights are longer than a standard copper cap.

How did you build the body? Also, what kind of finish did you use?

Lets RIDE!
    Nice job. Love the on-board batteries. I had intended to use those heatsinks on my first build about a year ago, but like you said, they were discontinued and I couldn't find them anywhere.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wow! That is one slick looking light set up!

A waste of time it is is
    Heatsinks here http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/index.php?cat=98& about a third of the way down the page GWS Motor heatsink S300 I think

This place also has some interesting stuff, particularly if you are running 7.2v batteries http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/motor-...-c-293_32.html Now they are truely "forced air" heat sinks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phburns
    Looks great! I went to the site that you referenced, and it looks like your lights are longer than a standard copper cap.

How did you build the body? Also, what kind of finish did you use?
    yes... each unit have 2 back to back copper caps...one for the led's case and the other for the micropack driver..You see total of 6 copper cap soldered like 3..this helps for more usefull space for switches, etc and looks nice...the finish is metalic chrome, 2 layers spray...i am not a painter boy but was easy job

mtbr member
    Great looking light! I really like the battery placement. How did you attach the cap to the star nut inside the stem?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    Great looking light! I really like the battery placement. How did you attach the cap to the star nut inside the stem?
    just screw the female SMA type connector inside stem's allen screw ...no connector's nut needed...just screw the connector...i cant explain it...but lok the photos up...the alen's diameter is exactly the diameter you need to screw the SMA connector. (my english not very good)

mtbr member
    Are you using something like this:

https://www.tme.eu/katalog_pics/b/5/...7471b13g50.jpg

Is this how it is put together?

Aug 2009
    what kind of run times are you getting? that is a truly awsome setup!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffyPuffy
    Are you using something like this:

https://www.tme.eu/katalog_pics/b/5/...7471b13g50.jpg

Is this how it is put together?

this SMA connector is ok 100%...no star nut needed
    SMA's diameter is excactly what you need...with a litle torgue fron your hands you can perfect screw it to your enduro's stem allen...

i use 2 17670 in series connection and i have 7.4V / 1800mA... is no more than 3 hours...but connecting in parallel i take a bit slower light but 5-6 hours of biking...by the way..i always have an extra battery pack for my week-end bike riding...and of course my diy charger is working from my car's cigarette 12V socket.

Spanish biker
    Hi, Wowww, very nice light!!!!!

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Wow impressive looks better than everything else on here.

mtbr member
    I am not sure i am talented enough to build one like this on my own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    today i replaced the luxeon III emiters with K2 TFFC emiters...
    the light of this think is amazing...
    i finally use a 10 degree lens for the center led and 15d for the sides...the light is more compact for my ride contitions
    also i changed the battery pack , from serial to parallel configuration resulting 3.7V/3800mA .

100% italian mtbiker
    Oct 2007
    this is definitely the light I like most! I have the same exact bike and i must say that it suits perfectly! I'll take inspiration from you for my second light! (bookmarking the page right away)

Where did you get the stuff you used as housing for the leds? is there an online supplier?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mdsjack
    this is definitely the light I like most! I have the same exact bike and i must say that it suits perfectly! I'll take inspiration from you for my second light! (bookmarking the page right away)

Where did you get the stuff you used as housing for the leds? is there an online supplier?
    the housing stuff is from local shops but i think is easy to find them ... cheers...

mtbr member
    Mind if I ask how you attached the back caps? It appears that its a second row of copper caps with copper tubing between them to run the wires. phenom idea- keeps it clean if thats the case and adds more heat sink.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Subscribed. Definitely going to do this to my enduro when I have the time.

Awesome job.

Members who have read this thread: 0