i got bored last night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

i got bored last night

i made this for a couple R2's. i was wondering though could this handle 2 MC-E's? possibly?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    MCE ought to work. Start it at 500 mA per die and you should be fine.
    Raining here. I would love to build, but I am between cutter shipments currently.
    Thanks for the build fix.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Good job!

Grrrr! am waiting on DX at the mo.
    As you now know its fookin frustrating waiting for bits!
    Got all these ideas in me head but cant get going!
    I tend to build hand to mouth (as is clear to see with my ugly lights!) but at the
    forefront of all my little builds is one priciple FORM OVER FASHION!
    Your builds look cool and will be cool! thats the way to do it.
    Tommo.

mtbr member
    Nice.

How's it all held together? What's the ID of the tubes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    the fins are being help by AAA and the two tubes are jb welded to the circle plate. if you look in the second picture you can sort of see the brass tube i used to connect the two tubes for passing wires between them. i dont have a caliper so i cant measure the ID but i will get one soon and let you know. looks like ill be ordering up some MC-E's soon. or what do you guys think of doing a double triple XPE R2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The double triple would be better IMHO. Optics are better and fewer emitters to drive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    im going to be using a 1000ma buckpuck so what sort of lumens would a double triple put out if each was getting 500ma. and what sorta battery would i need?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rough estimate would be around 140 per emitter. So roughly around 800 lumens. Depends on emitter binning of course. I always run the R2 XPEs.
    Running 3s2p puts you around 9 to 10 volts plus another volt for the driver. That is 10 to 11 volts.
    The 11.1v battery would probably work since it is over 11.1 off the charger, but the 14.8v would make more sense to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool. I think im gonna go with a dual MC-E with this one and make another housing for the double triple. Lol i can already see that i am going to have more lights than i can use haha.

Lets RIDE!
    Don't forget that buckpucks want 2 volts over the Vf of the leds. So a 14.4 /14.8 battery would be better for the double triple 3s2p.

I too am waiting on leds from DX All the other stuff I ordered has arrived but not the leds. Tracking said all shipped 2/20, but now I just looked at the order status and the ship date of the leds mysteriously has changed to 2/28. I'll have them soon, maybe. No matter, the longer I wait the more my ideas change, and then I need to order more stuff

When is DX (and LEDsupply.com) going to get on the ball with XP-Es ???

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ok sounds good to me. i wish batteries werent so expensive haha

Lets RIDE!
    four 18650's from DX and one of TurboFerret's 4s battery holders will get you there pretty cheaply.

JZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    true, but i wouldnt be able to get 4400mah. on another note. on my next light i want to put in a simple on/off toggle switch. or maybe something that can do high low off. how hard is this to accomplish and is there somewhere with a step by step

Lets RIDE!
    No, you won't get 4400mAh, but if I'm punching the right numbers into the runtime calculator you'll get 3+ hours from 2400mAh.

If you have the dimmable buckpuck you can do hi/low/off or hi/med/low pretty easily using a double throw switch and a couple resistors. There is a thread here somewhere with a schematic and resistor values, but I don't have a link to it. Anyone? Also, someone had the great idea of using micro-size potentiometers in place of the resistors so you can fine-tune your brightness levels.

It sounds to me like we have another led addict among us Say goodbye to your time and your money

JZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i get 3 hours on my triple XRE R2 with 14.8v 2600mah. i was just guessing that running two MC-E would need more mah. as far as the switch id be happy with half power full power and off. so i would need one resistor for the low i guess right? i am definitely getting addicting to building lights. and my bank account has noticed haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i think ive got it. if i get the switch below and wire the top pin with no resistor it will give me full, if i put a 1k resistor on the middle pin that would be low, and im guessing by leaving the third pin when i flip to it that would be off?

Lets RIDE!
    Ah, I was still working with the double triple numbers @ 500mA. Yes, MC-E will draw more.

You're on the right track with the switch. It needs to have a center "off" position.....some double-throw switches only have 2 positions. Not sure of the correct resistor value, but I'm sure someone will jump in with a link.

JZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yea sounds good

mtbr member
    Try this switch:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=524PB-ND

It is has two connections that it cycles through on each click, so...

1 click = A
    2 clicks = B
    3 clicks = A + B in parallel
    4 clicks = off

Ya' might be able to put a different resistor at each position and get 4 levels of light by an easy click of a switch vs fiddling w/ a pot or multi position switch.

I use one now for my halogen setup. I have it strapped right next to my grip so I don't have to move my hand to activate it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ok so be gentle but can someone correct me if im wrong here?

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by darkendlight88
    ok so be gentle but can someone correct me if im wrong here?
    Buckpucks work backwards to the way you think they should.

The more current that runs through the ctr/ref circuit, the LESS bright the light will be.

i.e if you break the circuit you willl get full power.

Looking at your pic, I see that it will give HI/HI/lower beam.

so this is the way i have wired them (as per redbeams thread).

The labeling on the left shows the standard switch positions. What you will actually get from the switch is HI on the centre poll and low and off on the other poles depending on which resistors you use.

Playing with the resistors a little will give you differing light levels.

Rocky mountain way posted this little list a while back for a 3021 which should help

Originally Posted by rockymtnway
    In quick response and posted elsewhere, I got the following results in my own test with a 3021:

470 ohms = 134ma
    690 ohms = 273ma
    800 ohms = 340ma
    1k ohms = 439 ma
    1.22k ohms = 530 ma
    1.7 ohms = 685ma
    2k ohms = 760ma
    open circuit = 950 ma

Lets RIDE!
    Salty, is there a picture missing from the post above, or is it just my ancient computer playing games again.

JZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i think the picture is missing. i am trying to get an off a low half power and a full power. can some one explain how i go about acheiving that? maybe with a diagram since i am a tad slow haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Picture did not load for me. When that happens I right click on it. Go to properties. Copy the file address and load the address in the address bar. Pulls picture up and then picture appears in the thread from that point on. Don't know how or why. It just seems to work for me.
    Try the link maybe.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Salty, is there a picture missing from the post above, or is it just my ancient computer playing games again.

JZ
    Sorry, it wasn't my pic. I hot-linked it and hit preview and could see it so assumed all must be ok.

It came from here... post #4 - That should show you what you need to do darken.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks odtexas that worked. ok so leaving the ref wire open makes full power. i want to use a 1k resistor to get a low power. what sort of resistor will give me an off. how does this work?

Lets RIDE!
    For off you use no resistor.....just short the ctl. and ref.

JZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    cool. thanks i think i got it now. now to wait for the MC-Es. i got them from bram so things should be quick

Members who have read this thread: 0