how to wire up 3 MCE's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

how to wire up 3 MCE's

I have just received some MCE housings from Deesta.
    Please would you assist in some advice on how to wire up the Led's I have 2 x series leds and 1 x individual led.

From my initial sketch I think it will work. Is there a better way to do it?
    Appreciated
    Thys
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Your sketch would work but will have a pretty high Vf of ~19.2-21.6. A maxFlex at 1200mA and a 14.8V battery would run it. I prefer using buck type drivers rather than boost type. I would wire the individual star as a series connection. Verify that the Vf of each series star is very close to each other. Then connect all 3 in parallel. Run it with a HipFlex at 2100mA from a 14.8V or 18.5V battery. It would be a little bit brighter and Taskled typically shows slightly higher efficiency numbers for their buck style drivers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks VAncbiker, appreciate the comments. I have however already purchased the maxflex which I plan to run it with. so im committed there! I plan to run it as two parallel strings of 6 in series.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    You're fine hooked up like your drawing shows. This is how my MCE's are hooked up. The Maxflex works well in this 6s hookup. The Maxflex is unkind to the battery in this mode however. Mine draws 1.45A from the fully charged battery (16.8 volts). The current rises as the battery discharges. This require a higher capacity battery for a given runtime. Example my buck regulated light draws 810mA from a 2400mAH battery, about 3 hours runtime. The current drops off as the light falls out of regulation. My Maxflex (boost regulator) light will go about 1.25 hours on a 2400mAH battery, not the 1.5+ hours one would calculate.

Members who have read this thread: 0