how long do 18650 cells retain capacity when stored?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how long do 18650 cells retain capacity when stored?

I'm going to need some better 18650 cells for my various lights as the ones I've harvested from duff laptop batteries are, unsurprisingly, not that great

It's either DX, using advice from here and CPF, or buying a new laptop battery and dismantling it. I've found this one which uses 12 2200mAh Sony cells. Works out to just over $2 per cell, which is a bargin. However, the laptop that it's for is an ancient P4 era monstrosity (hence the 6600mAh capacity), so the packs are going to be 4-5 years old at a minimum. Although it's pretty likely that the cells were originally 2200mAh, what are they going to be by now?

Should I go this route or remember the "buy cheap buy twice mantra"? Not sure how DX fits into that, but I can't afford $10+ a cell..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Laptop usage kills lithium cells quick. It's the heat. Even if they never were used they will likely be 50% at best if they were stored for that long. The best bet is to buy some cells that you know are not old and tired..

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    The first table here gives a good idea of battery life over time. There are other factors such as temperatures and storage conditions:

http://batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm

mtbr member
    thanks for the advice vroom The company wouldn't answer my Qs about age of pack and storage condition, so I went for new cells from DX (which is a whole 'nother post, no doubt!)

Members who have read this thread: 0