how can I fix my two lights from deal extreme- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

how can I fix my two lights from deal extreme

Howdy, bought two lights, both pretty popular here. One was the MTE p_7
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

and the other was the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6937

After one mt bike ride each, they both stopped working. This was two different rides no crashes. On the P-7 the light would come back on if I pushed in the glass in front of the light.Eventually I could push no more. On the cree fattie light it would come back on if i tapped the outside of the light. Sometimes it would glow very low and then shut off.

WHen I bought the lights I also purchased 6 ultrafire batteries and two different chargers. I have rotated all the batteries and chargers and still get the same results.

If I do not move the lights they remain on no problem.

What is the warranty on these? I bought them in February.. and if I am out of warranty how can I fix them? I have zero soldering skills but might be able to press a friend to help.

Thxs

john v
    miami fl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    ..Howdy, bought two lights, both pretty popular here. One was the MTE p_7
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060

and the other was the http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6937

After one mt bike ride each, they both stopped working. This was two different rides no crashes. On the P-7 the light would come back on if I pushed in the glass in front of the light.Eventually I could push no more. On the cree fattie light it would come back on if i tapped the outside of the light. Sometimes it would glow very low and then shut off....l
    Not sure I can help you but I'll try. I have two P-7 MTE torches. One is like yours only mine is a two mode and the other is an MTE P-7 5-mode but is a different model than yours. Like your 5-mode mine was doing pretty much the same thing as yours. I disassembled mine and took a look at the front part where the LED is mounted. On mine there is a module that the LED is attached to. This module also houses the driver which is inside. On mine I am able to unscrew it ( the module ) from the battery tube. On mine there is a metal ring with two small holes that screws down on the module where the + battery spring is. Using a bent paper clip I unscrewed mine and then re-screwed. This got mine working again although I am not quite sure if this is the real cause. Yours might not use a module as it is a smaller torch than my 5-mode. In that case it might be altogether different. I have a feeling though that your problem is probably due to a poor connection with the driver. Hope this helps.

Carbon8er
    The DX flashlights I have here work fine as flashlights, but I would not count on them to work properly on a bike.

Very little is soldered, one connection relies on the case as the ground connection.

You can take them apart and try and improve connection points.

Tighten screws down,
    Tighten down any of the spanner type rings,
    Pull the spring out a bit longer so it pushes on the battery harder

Maybe that will do the trick

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Been using DX Torches for @2years mounted on the bars and on the my helmet without any real issues, the only issues have been bangs changing the mode.

By swapping switches around I've been able to solve all of these and sometimes actually bodys to other older torches.

Most of it is supposed to be batterys shaking around in the tube, the new 2600 batterys are slightly bigger and should help.

A bit of sellotape to make them fit tighter, but not to tight might fix it.

Check the switch assembly is in tight aswell, thats a common factor.

Carbon8er
    yes,
    I meant to say, some people may use a flashlight, but I would not personally.

Just a personal pref.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    yes,
    I meant to say, some people may use a flashlight, but I would not personally.

Just a personal pref.

I've got 2 on my bars and 2 on my head, so as long as 1 is still working I can get home

Not had 1 other than batterys running out fail on a ride so all is good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    ...Very little is soldered, one connection relies on the case as the ground connection.

You can take them apart and try and improve connection points.

Tighten screws down,
    Tighten down any of the spanner type rings,
    Pull the spring out a bit longer so it pushes on the battery harder

Maybe that will do the trick
    Yep...tonight I just tried mine and once again the output was less than satisfactory. This time I tightened the metal O-ring near the switch and WHOOSH....once again full power. Hopefully this will not be an on-going thing. Tomorrow night I'll try it again to see what happens. As long as I get about 175lm out of the mid-mode I'm fine. Anyway, I think your comments are spot-on.

Carbon8er
    Thanks Cat,

Most all the connections in flashlights are just contact pressure points between two surfaces.

It's not the best way to transfer power, but it works fine in non critical situations.
    Every non soldered connection tends to have a tiny bit of resistance which also leads to a voltage drop on high current LED's , like P7's

Those spanner rings are a contact point for the battery negative, after it has left the switch.

Stretching out the gold springs that contact the battery is another good thing to do, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    I've got 2 on my bars and 2 on my head, so as long as 1 is still working I can get home
    A single light and one backup should really be enough.

Now to the OP... check out the thread over at CPF
    LED Troubleshooting guide (budget lights)

Members who have read this thread: 0