Housing for Ledil Iris- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Housing for Ledil Iris

Greetings fellow Bike Light DIYers,

I am about to embark on my first DIY Bike Light and have been avidly following threads here regarding optics as well as other things. Kudos to troutie-mtb for all the optic evaluations and especially for the beamshots. I have decided on an initial design for my handlebars based on achesalot's with the 1" square tubing with 2x Cree MC-E and Ledil CMC Optics to cover the flood.

As for the spot I want to go with a helmet mounted MC-E with Ledil Iris optics as I agree at least from the beamshots, it is best spotting optic by far. I am trying to figure out the best approach for housing one of these suckers. I know a lot of people of fond of flashlight mods, which I want to look into, but DX seems to be down atm.

I was thinking about going with something like this 1.5" inner diameter aluminum tubing, but I can't think of a really good way of getting the heat to transfer from the star to the tube, short of welding a circular piece of aluminum to the end (for which I currently don't have the means). An alternative would be to use 1.5" inner diameter square tubing I suppose, with a 1.5" square x 0.25" fitted to the end, per achesalot.

I guess the real question here is, has anybody come up with a creative solution to housing the Ledil Iris Optics, and, barring that, was are your feels on heat transfer with a fitted 0.25" thick square or circle placed inside either square or round tubing, possibly bonded with J-B Weld.

mtbr member
    Hi Loghopper , Welcome to the diy party.

I am in the process of playing around with the Iris optic and here are my findings,

First up excellent optic if on the large size .
    will not fit in a DX torch with removing from its holder or machining out the head of the torch which then may leave too little metal left .

it is a little bit sensative to positioning so if removed from its holder then becomes a little awkward to get the optimal beam . the best beam is with it in the holder.
    also a bit of thought has gone into this holder with cutouts for the wires when soldered on the star.

my solution is to mirror the optic holder shape in the housing to get weight down to a minimum and also a shape that fits nicely on the helmet still thinking about the mount .

My housing is one piece so has the MCE direct on the metal left inside
    I have gone with no cooling fins as I think the size of the thing has enough area for an MCE

if you are going to use tubing you will need to have a slug of aluminium tightly fitting inside the tube to mount the star on and transfer the heat .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nicely done troutie, would you eventually be selling said creation :-? Some of us are not blessed with CNC's or the ability to use them ;-).

Upon further research, I came to the same conclusion about the DX torches, was hoping to do it with the oldie but goldie Ultrafire C2 but it just doesn't seem to have enough depth for the Iris Optics. I did just come across this other one, the Ultrafire C8, not a shell but still pretty cheap:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9427

According to the comments:

The aluminum oranage peeled reflector is 31.35mm, the diameter is 40.75mm (Comparing with Ultrafire C2 flashlight with 21mm long and 36.94mm diameter reflector) with a longer distance light and concentrated beam
    so given the size of the stock reflector, it would seem you could fit the entire 30mm x 38mm optic with holder with a little wiggle room, and shore it up with some caulk. What do you think?

Also, I understand you got your Iris' from cutter. I am stateside, but unfortunately both the digikey as well as ledsupply don't seem to have the Iris' in stock as of yet. I was probably going to end up ordering from cutter as well. But I was a bit concerned that they listed both part numbers, CA10861_Iris & CA10908_Iris-M, but don't allow you to specify which one you want to order. The description is CC'd from the Ledil site with the additional line:

Finally a narrow beam optic to suit the Cree MCE a true 10 degree optic
    which would indicate to me that they are the M's according to the estimate on the data sheet. How can you be sure you got the Iris non-M's?

Thanks for the timely response and all the inspiration.

mtbr member
    That looks like the makings of a really cool light Troutie, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Loghopper, I was thinking that perhaps you could make a DiNotte style light with that optic using a tube with a slug for the MCE fashioned from a rod, for example:

This tube:

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4578-...-aluminum.aspx

This rod:

http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2451-...-extruded.aspx

Just use some thermal compound between the rod and tube and it should work. Now I am thinking about making one

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've snugged the iris (holder-less) in an MTE P7 12060 light from DX. It performs much better than the stock reflector

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, I understand you got your Iris' from cutter. I am stateside, but unfortunately both the digikey as well as ledsupply don't seem to have the Iris' in stock as of yet. I was probably going to end up ordering from cutter as well. But I was a bit concerned that they listed both part numbers, CA10861_Iris & CA10908_Iris-M, but don't allow you to specify which one you want to order.
    I just ordered and recieved my iris optics from cutter, they are labeled as Cutter Item Code - Iris-S Spot, so I assume that it is the spot.

Oh and the holders on mine are black, ( different to trouts ) not sure if that means anything
    Last edited by stu44; 06-11-2009 at 03:29 AM.
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

Members who have read this thread: 0