HID/LED Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

HID/LED Suggestions

I am looking for some suggestions, I am making the dive into night riding this year and trying to limit my budget to $400-$500

I have reviewed this site, read countless posts and reviews including the shootout.

Here is what I have my eyes set on.
    Options (A,B,C)
    A) 1 - Light and Motion ARC Li-Ion HID
    B) 1 - Princeton Tec Switchback 2(helmet) and 1 - Princeton Tec Switchback 3 (handlebar)
    C) 1 - Dinotte 500L (helmet or handlebar)

I am a little wary of HID, due to possible future costs, but I want enough light for singletrack and haven't found enough information on the Princeton Tec or Dinotte to say definitively that they will be bright enough for what I want.

Open to other ideas....thanks in advance. I also do not want to attempt to try to make one on my own.

Grizzly
    I would recommend the Princeton Tec option. I run the exact combo you are looking at, and am very happy with the lights. you get the most for your money as well--2 lights instead of 1, car chargers, adapters, extension cables, helmet and bar mounts, etc.

As far as being bright enough...they light it up really well. The 3 is wide enough for dirt road descents, and the 2 works great in singletrack. Together they are a great team. I ran this combo at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo, a mostly singletrack course, and the lights were perfect.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    I would recommend the Princeton Tec option. I run the exact combo you are looking at, and am very happy with the lights. you get the most for your money as well--2 lights instead of 1, car chargers, adapters, extension cables, helmet and bar mounts, etc.

As far as being bright enough...they light it up really well. The 3 is wide enough for dirt road descents, and the 2 works great in singletrack. Together they are a great team. I ran this combo at the 24 Hours of Old Pueblo, a mostly singletrack course, and the lights were perfect.
    Hey alizbee, What's your actual run time on each. If you search around, there are some decent deals on those lights. Do you ever out run them or find yourself needing more light.

MB

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Hey alizbee, What's your actual run time on each. If you search around, there are some decent deals on those lights. Do you ever out run them or find yourself needing more light.

MB

I have not out ran them yet. At OP I was getting 5-6 hours on each light. A really nice feature with them is that when the battery goes down a "notch" the light will flash a few times. So you can keep track of how your battery is doing. The batteries themselves have indicator lights also, although with a battery in a pack, or strapped to a frame it can be tricky to see those indicator lights. They are great for charging though.

With both lights, I have yet to find a situation where I wanted more light.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the info Alizbee...your comments helped me make the decision towards the Princeton Tec Switchbacks.

Hopefully, I will have a good review in the near future.

BTW, I enjoyed reading through your site.

Grizzly
    Quote Originally Posted by ihelix
    Thanks for the info Alizbee...your comments helped me make the decision towards the Princeton Tec Switchbacks.

Hopefully, I will have a good review in the near future.

BTW, I enjoyed reading through your site.
    Thanks!

Good luck with the lights. Night riding is really fun, it makes old trails seem like new trails.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

~Ed Abbey

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by alizbee
    Thanks!

Good luck with the lights. Night riding is really fun, it makes old trails seem like new trails.
    Yes, you are right, that's why I use my GPS for I don't get lost.

Greeting - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0