Help for selling to LBS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help for selling to LBS

I went to a local bike club meeting and had my lights on display and got a little bit better response than I was expecting.
    So here is the quetion for those of you who have done it. If you sold to company or local bike shop, did you give them whoelsale pricing, or did they pay your current rates and then add their markup.

Would you do it again?

Next question

I am going to have to move to CNC runs to keep up with demand. With the way my lighs are priced right now there is no way I can do that and keep the price the same. Do I just pass the cost on, or do I eat some?

Also if you don't mind and PM if needed what did you pay per piece for your runs and total number of pieces?

Thanks all

I will probably have more questions coming.

mtbr member
    Nice!! Congrats! I have been working on the same thing. I think that you should not be eating the cost on the lights at all. Bike shops have a certain margin they need to make in order to make a product worthwhile to carry. Ask them what that is, add it to the price that you can produce your lights for and the money you need to make... and see what it comes out to!

Just throwing some numbers out there (these are all hypo and just wild guesses)... if it costs you $50 in parts, it takes an hour of assembly at $30 per hour, Packaging $5, Insurance $5, your profit $40... you will need to sell the light to the bike shop for $130. The shop will in turn need to sell it for $220 or so retail.

Remember the liability and insurance portion of selling a product like this... if there is a malfunction and someone smacks a tree... it could cost you a lot!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the amount of light your little darkstar puts out at the cost that it does, me thinks there is plenty of room left to move when it comes to comparison with other brand name companies prices, so i would pass any charges on to the buyer... ...you've done all the work and taken all the risk and so you need to make it worthwhile for yourself otherwise you'll burn out and resent doing anymore work and there won't be any darkstar II (or III or IV)

Lets RIDE!
    Why not just sell them yourself? Wholesaling is a whole lot of work for very little profit.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    I am entertaining the idea mainly for recognition. This is part of what I am having a problem with is how not to compete against them in the same market. If it was in a different city I think it would be a lot easier. I was approached by them so do not want to dismiss this oportunity without serious thought

Wandering not Lost
    if your demand is higher than you can keep up with then why wholesale?

Members who have read this thread: 0