Help with rebuilding battery of niterider Minewt X2 light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Help with rebuilding battery of niterider Minewt X2 light

This light was circa 2008 built. It just up and died last week. I called niterider and they said it was too old and so why bother sending it in since they dont have old parts and stuff. I didn't like that answer. So i came home later and popped the battery case open. There was some liquid in there which i discovered is coming from one of the batteries, which is bubbling a tiny bit of gas (battery on the right below). Yes i immediately left the batteries out in the backyard while i figure out what to do with them. Anyway, it appears that the 18650 batteries are pretty standard issue. I was thinking just buying two new ones and popping them in. As the picture below shows, the two batteries are linked together the plus end to the minus end. And the other end one battery has a red wire and the other has a blakc wire. Can i buy two of these batteries already linked in this manner? I've never soldered onto the terminals of batteries so i wanted to get a little assurance that it is just light soldering a couple wires...or is there more i need to know about it
    Help with rebuilding battery of niterider Minewt X2 light-img_0829.jpg
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You can buy cells with tabs already spotwelded on. Get those and then solder the tabs together on one end and solder the tab to the wires on the other end.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just to give an example of what vancbiker is referring to, you could buy two cells like this 2Pcs Panasonic Rechargeable Li-ion Battery 18650B 3.6V 3400mAh for US$21.95.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i saw these batteries at 2250 mAh for like $7 each..but i guess 3400 mAh is much better and thus you pay for that...i cant tell what the origin battery's mAh was
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Emphatically buy batteries with tabs and solder the tabs -- don't try to solder directly to the case of the battery. The membrane inside is easy to damage, and when it's damaged, it's unreliable-to-dangerous.

Be careful of the leaky one in the back yard too. Dropping it (gloves, eye protection, tongs) in a bucket of water is probably the right thing to do with it, then recycle whatever's left once it settles down.

That light didn't get great reviews, mostly battery problems: NiteRider MiNewt.X2 Older Lights Reviews - Mtbr.com

Could be it lacks any kind of over-charge and over-discharge protection, if so it'd be easy to ruin new batteries.