Help please, having troubles with a V3 Maxflex- Mtbr.com
    A waste of time it is is

Help please, having troubles with a V3 Maxflex

Hi all,
    I posted the below on the Taskled forums yesterday, http://taskled.com/forum/index.php?P...51&topic=260.0 but have just had a vague recollection that George is away for a month or so. If anyone has any ideas please don't be shy, and remember that I am an electronics noob so please be really specific with what and how I should be testing.

"Set Up
    3 MC-E with 2 parrallel strings of 6 die. Each string shares the 1200mA from the Maxflex so gets 600mA
    Battery is 14.8v Li-Ion 4.8Ahr from battery space
    Maxflex set at UIB, 1200mA, gold pad heat sink to rear of light housing (away from leds) I think the thermal was set at 50 degrees but not 100% certain

The light worked flawlessly for about an hour on trail, switching between high and low without problem. Really ever only got warm to the touch. After about an hour I turned onto some very rough single trail. My eyes tell me I got a momentary flash then the light went out. No matter what I tried it would not come back on, even after having been off for long enough for the light body to be cold to the touch. I initially thought I may have a had a problem with the battery, it was strapped to a carbon hardtail frame so took a bit of shaking on the rocky trail. Have since used that battery without issue.

The light will now turn on, I am guessing at its lowest level, when the battery is connected but activating the switch does nothing, not even turning the light off.

I have removed the switch wiring from the driver and tested the switch, its ok. Have reconnected the switch back to the driver, again the light will come on when battery is connected but the switch does nothing. I can only turn the light off by disconnecting the battery.

Any ideas what I should be testing to try and locate the fault? I've built several lights but would still classify myself as an electronics noob so please be specific with your suggestions, assume I know nothing

Many thanks

Stuart"

Cheers guys

mtbr member
    I've had axactly the same situation with one of my lights - the light did turn on when I connected the battery, but it did not respond to the switch. I too suspected the fault to be in the switch, but this turned out to be wrong conclusion.

After some desperate and unsuccessful tries to fix the thing I've sent the maxFlex back to George who has found out that I have somehow destroyed regulator (or something like that). He replaced that chip and now it works like a charm.

It was entirely my fault, I must have caused some short when stuffing all the bits and peaces into the housing (it was rather tight fit). Is it possible that during your bumpy ride your electronics or wires have made some short circuit to the housing or something like that?

And of course on the other hand, your problems may be of totally different nature than mine, I'm purely speculating....

A waste of time it is is
    Thanks Ortelius.
    Did you have to remove all your wiring from the driver before you sent it back or did you send the light as a whole?

It is entirley possible that it was short, that would explain the brighter flash my eyes perceived before the light went out, but isn't the driver short circuit protected or is it only protected against wrong polarity?

Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    There seems to be a pattern emerging I could be wrong but
    Southern Adventurer had an issue like that with a troutlight he dropped on the floor
    and Oceanbreathessalty but cant remember the exact circumstances

I had one do the same but found a tiny bit of swarfe shorting on the board removed the swarfe and it was ok again.

Can you get in to the menu and do a reset .

mtbr member
    Maxflex 3 is open circuit protected , no reverse polarity protection and will die if reversed .

maxflex 4 is reverse polarity protected

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    Oceanbreathessalty but cant remember the exact circumstances

That was just because he is a ham fisted clown

I finally ordered a new maxflex on the weekend to finish this light off!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Did you have to remove all your wiring from the driver before you sent it back or did you send the light as a whole?
    I've sent only the driver back to George. I don't see any point in sending the whole light, as he will need to dismantle it anyway to get the driver out - I assume he must have bare driver available to perform diagnostics and surgery on it.

In any case, I think you need to get into contact with George before sending it back, to arrange all such details.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    The light will now turn on, I am guessing at its lowest level, when the battery is connected but activating the switch does nothing, not even turning the light off.

I have been a lazy bum and haven't sent mine back to George yet. But that is basically what mine was doing.

Troutie, Can I replace it with a BFLEX and get the same/similar functionality for my Trout Light?? I am using a 13.2V, 4500 mAh Nihm battery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Adventurer
    I have been a lazy bum and haven't sent mine back to George yet. But that is basically what mine was doing.

Troutie, Can I replace it with a BFLEX and get the same/similar functionality for my Trout Light?? I am using a 13.2V, 4500 mAh Nihm battery.

SA you can use the bflex but you would need to rewire the leds to 3S2P for it to work

A waste of time it is is
    Troutie, no I can't access the menu at all. I had hoped it was something as simply as my fumbling in the dark accidently activated the auto lock out but reading the instructions it can't be this either

SA, if you use the bFlex and run 2P as Troutie suggested you won't be able to go past 500mA per string, ie the leds will be under driven, or more like not driven at their highest certified current, so you will loose a little light as a result. That said, it will be cooler

Thanks for the replies guys. As noone has come forward with, "Ah you've blon this little thing here (magic link to pic of maxflex with fault highlighted) and you can replace it easily with this ( magic link to source of said faulty component supplier). ts an easy 5 min solder job to fix" it looks like I'll be sitting back waiting for George to return. Lucky I have several other sets of lights, that and I'm a lazy sod

stuart

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I'm starting to think George's "vacation" is simply a ploy to drive up demand.

A waste of time it is is

No,

I reckon he knew the XP-G was coming and would be ahead of schedule for a change. That the release of this new little LED will be accompanied by a frenzy of builds and he will be swamped with orders for drivers and queries about how we can drive 16 of the suckers from 14.8 li-ion battery using a maxflex. Surely armed with this knowledge the man is simply having a sanity break before the storm hits

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    George is 1000's of miles away in a different continent right now !

Hopefully dreaming up more weird and wonderful gizmos for us to use.

Members who have read this thread: 0