Hello stranger..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hello stranger..

Hi all
    I've been away for a very long time after getting married and starting a family so I thought I'd have a look to see what's going on on here.
    Blimey, things have changed a bit with all this new tech...XML's/Drivers etc. Some fantastic looking lights too.

I had a bit of success with the MCE Altair but the 7-up didn't get going. I've got a few bits and pieces left over and was thinking of having a go at doing myself a new light. I've got a few 7 up cases left so want to try and get them finished so that I can chuck a bit of money at something completely new.
    The one thing I have got is a hipFlex that I bought but never really got round to using. What sort of thing could I use that for? I'm thinking of something with MCE for flood and XML's for throw. Will have to do some doodling (as that's where I used to start) and see what comes out.
    I now have 5th Axis capability at work now too so may even try and use that to use different angles for the LED's....

I feel all tingly inside at the thought of trying something new...I've missed the lights and the friendly advice/banter. Questions may well follow....be kind

Steve

A waste of time it is is
    Welcome back Steve.

You do of course realise that you'll also have to take up anodising as well?

As for the hipflex, I built a dual xpg / xml powered by one and am pretty happy with the beam pattern. Details can be found here

Have fun

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Welcome back mate. Sounds like you will have the housing sorted with a 5th axis cnc. I have long thought of having the leds on different angles but on a manual mill it is a bit hard, though not impossible.

I used my hipflex for a double XML with Regina optics driven @ 2800mA

I certainly look forward to what you come up with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi there,

Nice to hear from you and to see you back. I'm awaiting what you'll come up with.

Congratulations for the kid.
    When you think that life is though, keep a positive attitude : remember that it is short ;-)

mtbr member
    Thanks guys,
    I've not touched the soldering iron for ages but have just managed to put together an MC-E Altair for a mate so well chuffed that I can still remember a little bit...
    Not sure of the need for home anodising as I can send stuff off through work and tend to get it done relatively cheaply :-)

Will be doing some catch up reading on here for a while before I attempt anything as I'm so rusty on the latest tech that I wouldn't know where to start...and I want to get my head around the 5th axis @ work...

It's good to be back...

Steve

mtbr member
    well, going by the lumen wars currently waging, I'd say anything less than a 7-up XM-L driven at 3A would be just a waste of time

I think a triple [email protected] on the bars and a double [email protected] on the helmet would be just about perfect. You could go for a single XM-L+aspheric for a monster helmet thrower, but that would get drowned out by the bar light closer too. I find my twin XM-L bar light at ~1.8A (L4) is just right with my twin XM-L helmet light at 1.5A - they both complement each other perfectly. So rather than going for absolute output, I think it's worth making sure the 2 lights work together well. Zen and all that

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pointers matt. I'm currently running my old 7 up XPG on the bars and,due to my quad failing, a triple XPE on my helmet. Work very nicely together...
    I'd like to utilise the new 5th axis on my CNC in my next light so will be tryin to pick the best bits and come up with something unique....
    :-)

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by deesta View Post
    Thanks for the pointers matt. I'm currently running my old 7 up XPG on the bars and,due to my quad failing, a triple XPE on my helmet. Work very nicely together...
    I'd like to utilise the new 5th axis on my CNC in my next light so will be tryin to pick the best bits and come up with something unique....
    :-)
    I still use my 7 up xpg/xpe on the bars and it is still one of my favourite lights. In saying that though the Triple xml will probably take it's place.

I still have to make a few more triple xpe and xpg helmet lights to use up stuff I have in stock but because these do not generate much heat they make great weight weeny lights. I do still love the beam of the triple xpe also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    I still use my 7 up xpg/xpe on the bars and it is still one of my favourite lights. In saying that though the Triple xml will probably take it's place.

I still have to make a few more triple xpe and xpg helmet lights to use up stuff I have in stock but because these do not generate much heat they make great weight weeny lights. I do still love the beam of the triple xpe also.

What you really mean is you have all this stock and its a perfect excuse just to mill some housings to Anodise

Rep Power Infinity +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger View Post
    What you really mean is you have all this stock and its a perfect excuse just to mill some housings to Anodise

Crap, is it that obvious...........no wonder my wife see straight through me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad72 View Post
    Crap, is it that obvious...........no wonder my wife see straight through me
    Well that's my excuse..although I've run out of LEDs

Members who have read this thread: 0