Headlamp upgrade advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Headlamp upgrade advice

I purchased a cateye 3 about 4 years and sad to say never used it until last week. Can't believe how much fun night riding is and how much fall riding I've missed by not trying it sooner. Anyhow the cateye 3 was less than acceptable compared to the other lights used by other riders so I began searching for an upgrade. I believe the cateye 3 puts out about 135 lums from what I could find online. I ordered a Light & Motion Seca 400 and it should arrive tomorrow. My question is I've been reading a lot about these lights coming out of China with 900 plus lums and there less than $100. But I've also noted issues with these lights. Question is should I stick with what I have coming or send it back and pick up one of these new lights made in China like magic shine? I paid $260 for the Light & Motion Seca 400 which also came with a bonus light Light & Motion Vega 120. Whats your thoughts.

mtbr member
    well, there've been plenty of documented issues with the Magicshine light that you're referring to (both output, closer to 500lm, and reliability) and they're now subject to a voluntary recall by the US distributor. So I'd try what you've ordered, sounds pretty sweet. If you're not happy with it, I'm sure peeps on here would be able to offer more advice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The issues with the MagicShine are solely with the batteries. I know the MagicShine I got last fall (2009) was considerably brighter than the NiteRide HID light I was using at the time (now sold). You could buy 2 light heads, a helmet mount, a charger and some other accessories, and then put together 2 battery packs yourself, or buy some pre-assembled battery packs from All-Battery or some other supplier, and have tons more light than the Seca 400 for less money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    The issues with the MagicShine are solely with the batteries.
    mostly and most recently with the batteries - I know a couple of people who've been less than impressed with the build quality of the light heads, either from poor heatsinking, plastic nuts unthreading themselves on the bracket or threads stripping out of the bottom of the housing. These have been pretty well documented on here too.

You pays your money, you takes your choice - if you have the money, go with quality. If you don't, go DIY, if you don't have money or skill/ aptitude, go Magicshine.

Do It Yourself
    Is it the Cateye Triple Shot that you have? You can upgrade the LED from the old Lux III to something better. I have a Double Shot with upgraded to XR-E R2. I would probably look upgrading again to some XP-G but I glued everything down. The only tricky part here is the optics. The stock Cateye Luxeon optics aren't that good for other LEDs so it can be tricky to find replacement optics or reflectors in the correct size which is roughly 20mm wide and 14mm tall. Even if you kept the old optics, they aren't terrible, just ringy. So even with some SSC P4 or XR-E R2, you are still looking a real 700+ lumens for maybe $25 invested.

There are a couple how-to threads:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=408260
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=293569
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Thanks much for the info. I will be reading up on that this evening. Have a 16yr old son that needs a light as well so guess he'll be getting the cateye

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I think you'll be plenty happy with the L&M stuff for now, and you should just sell me the Cateye Triple for scrap. All that modding stuff is a PITA road that you don't want to start down. Welcome to the night!
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cateye Triple can be easily modded to something... awful
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=cateye+triple
    Just swap the leds for XPGs, and change driver & optics.

Members who have read this thread: 0