Haven't been on in a very long time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Haven't been on in a very long time

Hi guys n gals
    I've not been on in a long time, and I'm a bit out of touch with building light. The last one I built used two xpg's.
    So what LEDs optics or reflectors are we using now as I'm thinking of building a new light for myself.
    Regards si

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Been really quiet here as far as new builds go.

I've slowly been putting together a spare housing that will have a couple XML2 emitters and will try the Ledil EVA D optics for a bar light.

For throw, the XPL-HI is excellent when paired with LEDDNA 20mm optics. I keep telling myself to try that emitter with a Ledil Regina reflector, but have not gotten around to it yet.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I'm putting together a new 4 x XHP35HI bar light using a Noctigon quad LED copper MCPCB and Ledil Angie-S quad LED optics.

Haven't been on in a very long time-dsc_0094.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I'm putting together a new 4 x XHP35HI bar light using a Noctigon quad LED copper MCPCB and Ledil Angie-S quad LED optics.
    That will be interesting to see how it works. Have you bench tested the emitter/optic combination?

I just finished a quick test of the emitter and optics tonight and I'm very pleased with the results. My goal with this build is a slightly more focused light than my previous 3 x XHP35HD with Cute-3 optics and I'm not disappointed.

5 feet from a wall the hot spot is about half the size and way more defined whereas the Cute-3 light gives a softer less defined hot spot, probably due to the dimples on the surface of the optics as well as using domed LEDs. At greater distances there is significantly more throw and less spill with this new combination.

Haven't been on in a very long time-dsc_0001.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I just finished a quick test of the emitter and optics tonight and I'm very pleased with the results. My goal with this build is a slightly more focused light than my previous 3 x XHP35HD with Cute-3 optics and I'm not disappointed.

5 feet from a wall the hot spot is about half the size and way more defined whereas the Cute-3 light gives a softer less defined hot spot, probably due to the dimples on the surface of the optics as well as using domed LEDs. At greater distances there is significantly more throw and less spill with this new combination.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	1236924
    Nice! I have one light where I used the CUTE-3 and I flat sanded the dimples off and re-polished the optic. Tightened it it up a bit, but I think the -HI emitters are probably the bigger contributor to a tighter beam.

My one challenge with this light build is the pill inside the housing makes things really tight for installation of my favorite Taskled drivers.

Haven't been on in a very long time-m36drawingpill.png

Due to the MCPCB diameter and stack height of the optics I have to put the LEDs on the flat side which means the driver needs to go in the pocket side where there is technically only room for a 28-30mm OD driver. This sadly would dictate the use of a b3flex limiting me to 3A of drive current. Now if I was to get a little creative and come up with say a 10mm aluminum spacer then that would move the driver outwards into the 33mm ID section which should be possible to just barely fit a H6flex. Realistically I don't need all that power but it almost has to be done, even if I only run the light at half power most of the time, just for bragging rights alone.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 03-07-2019 at 05:17 PM.

So I managed to squeeze H6flex into the driver compartment using 10mm spacer to raise it enough to fit into the 33mm section. Quite a tight fit, so I'm glad I used silicone wire to allow everything to fit easier.

Haven't been on in a very long time-dsc_0048.jpg

H6flex drive current is 5000mA so each XHP35 is seeing 1.25A. Power meter shows 67-68 watts at max brightness! Needless to say that's not a practical level for normal riding, but at medium L4 setting it draws 30 watts and still is throwing out a lots of light.

Shake down ride pending...
    Last edited by kwarwick; 03-07-2019 at 05:16 PM.