Halogen vs. LED- Mtbr.com

Thread: Halogen vs. LED

mtbr member

Halogen vs. LED

I have been looking around over the past couple of days at different DIY lights. I am trying to stay on the cheap, yet have an effective helmet light to supplement my bike mounted light for an upcoming 24 hour race.

Anybody have any opinions on the pros/cons of the typical LED systems that I see around as opposed to a halogen light, something like http://www.instructables.com/id/MR11...icycle-Light/?

Thanks for the input,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Hi Rob and welcome

Leds came of age a while ago and have now surpassed Halogen and even Hid in performance.

The beauty of leds is the controlability af the system
    there are some real good builds on here I would suggest having a dig down the posts and you will see some truly amazing lights and yes you can do it on the cheap if needed.

In fact a single R2 XRE and simple battery pack will blow you away for useabl light
    well over 200 lumens .

and very soon there will be the XPG led very small but very bright 345 lumens on full power you would only need one for your helmet light .

but beware once you have built a simple light you will want to do another one but better.

I am not going to point you at any threads because some of the fun is in doing the searching and seeing what others have been upto .

good luck and dont be afraid to ask questions

mtbr member
    Thanks Troutie. I've seen your name pop up "a few" times while browsing over the weekend.

So, simple question then. Is there a good place to see what drivers pair with which LEDs?

mtbr member
    Read below ...halogens are cheap and can be very bright, but in the end don't offer much in the way of performance.

Troutie is just another one of us afflicted DIY'ers ...and he's 100% right!

http://www.luminousdiy.com/Technical%20Info.htm#vision

~Chris

Carbon8er
    You will throw rocks at a MR6 halogen light after seeing a P7 LED or some other high powered LED.

Halogen is very yellow in color - not as bright
    HID sort of blue in color - brighter than halogen
    LED - Very white and super bright

Just generalizations. Depends on the actual parts used and how it is built.

I have info here on using Halogen light carcasses for LED builds.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by robtarr
    So, simple question then. Is there a good place to see what drivers pair with which LEDs?
    It is not so simple...It's depends on battery output voltage and type and number of leds, type of connection parallel or serial. You will have to make decision how many lumens want, or how many can you pay, at first.

www.taskled.com is good place for your answer, maybe. I have learned there a lot.

Off the back...
    One thing about halogen lights is their cheapness. A 50W 12V halogen run at 14V gives off an incredible amount of light [2000+ lumen range?], and can be slapped together for well under $50. The downsides are the lack of beam control [even the spots look like floods], short runtime [compared to LED] and waste heat. Thankfully, LED brightness and lumen/$ are rising steadily, making LEDs my choice for a DIY project.

Members who have read this thread: 0