Groovy question to discuss- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Groovy question to discuss

I was just playing around and suddenly wondered which grooves would be the best for heat sinks .

opinions would be welcome
    or even concrete scientific data
    also asthetics

mtbr member
    The one on the left is the easiest to clean the mud out of, though square ones have more surface area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    The one on the left is the easiest to clean the mud out of, though square ones have more surface area.

Good point we have enough mud over here , never thought about cleaning it out

Single Speed Junkie
    That depends. If your making deep grooves then I would lean towards the rounded. If they are shallow then use the square endmill.

One thought is on making really fine cuts, grooves. I found an endmill measuring 0.008". This would be overkill, but you would have tons of surface area...

Formerly NattyBoh74...
    I would go for more surface area.. After all that is what your after, better cooling.

mtbr member
    IMO the rounded ones look like they will be better for use and appearance. I would also round the tips a bit to make them less sharp. I doubt that there will be much difference in cooling either way though, since the fins are shallow.

mtbr member
    Along similar lines, the seca and the new toys from nightrider run shrouds around the outside of the fins.
    I assume this keeps the air pressure around the fins high, higher pressure = more cooling.
    Troutie are you going to need a little more cooling when you stick XP-Gs in the troutlite?
    Don't tell me you haven't pushed one to 1A yet.

mtbr member
    Along similar lines, the seca and the new toys from nightrider run shrouds around the outside of the fins.
    I assume this keeps the air pressure around the fins high, higher pressure = more cooling.
    Troutie are you going to need a little more cooling when you stick XP-Gs in the troutlite?

Hendo has been running his at 1amp without any problems . and there is plenty of spare metal to redesign the fins if needed ..

My take on the XP-G is they will run a little cooler and a little less VF even at 1 amp
    but we wont know for a while .

another thought is you only need 4 XPG for a better output than 6 XPE so a smaller Trout light may be on the cards.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I wonder if those shrouds may be an answer to a product liability lawyers concern that a user might be injured if they fell on a row of fins.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    I wonder if those shrouds may be an answer to a product liability lawyers concern that a user might be injured if they fell on a row of fins.
    There might be some truth behind that. It might also protect the fins from becoming damaged and bent. I could just there the CS calls "I was JRA when the fins folded over. Nevermind the dirt traped in the housing though it was JRA."

Members who have read this thread: 0