Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Google Sketch up Design for my next light

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bikerjay 
#1 ·

I have recently started playing with google sketch up. What a cool little program for those of us that don't have access to real pro design software. I am planning to use a section of .75 x 1.5 x .125 wall rectangular aluminum tubing. I will use 3/8" x1/2" stock for a slug. It will a sled design and also very ODTexas inspired since I now have access to a table saw I will be ripping simple fins. It will use a 4S lipo pack, a b-flex, an xp-e/xt-e/xpg and I may even try an xb-d. 10mm carclo lens. It will also have a a bit of lexan and or ppoly carbonate as a front cover.

I am still learning on google sketch up but I am pleased with the results already.

!.5" X .75" Rectangular tubing light by Jay - Google 3D Warehouse

#4 ·
Three carclo narrows will give a very decent beam.
Many of the guys I ride with prefer my older 3up design for trail riding over my newer XML lights.
XML with a Regina will out throw a triple carlco, but the triple will give you great fill and decent light out to around 50 foot.
Good luck and be careful with the saw...:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Three carclo narrows will give a very decent beam.
XML with a Regina will out throw a triple carlco, but the triple will give you great fill and decent light out to around 50 feet
IMO the Carclo narrows are not worth the effort to build a housing for. Too much flood. Depends on each user's preference and application though. For this design I would bump the size up to 1' x 2.5' and use Reginas.

#6 ·
@yeti I found the various tutorials on sketch up to be great. More than any thing this program lends it self to design by committee lights as its super easy to share models. I hope this will eventually lead to design by comitte/team lights popping here on the forums. Could lead to some real innovation.

Another like about the 10mm squares is the low profile light heads it yields, even the seemingly small easy2led is a lot taller. I think the rectangular design may be better and sinking heat also, but this is speculation. A lot profile is of real concern for a helmet mount and, I lite the flat wide and low look on the bars too.

odtexas, Yea I plan on making a sled and wearing a face shield and welding gloves. Rare to see cabinet makers with 10 full sized normal fingers. I have read up on it and will be safe, table saws are wicked.

I haven't yet decided if this new light will be for helmet or handle bars. I am tempted to use one xp-e one xp-g and an xt-e or if I can score samsung on 10mm boards with out expensive shipping maybe those.

I think the best mounting system out there by far with the most options is the hero go pro camera mounting system. It just works. I am planning to put tabs on the bottom that mate with the gopro stuff. I will probably put up a seperate thread on there with a plea for some machining and my crude first attempt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.