Good bar mount..What are you guys using?- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

Good bar mount..What are you guys using?

I am just finishing my first handlebar mounted light, and I entertained the idea of making a mount but it isn't going to be something easy to do. To make one the way I want it, it will require some effort and I still haven't figured out exactly how to make it adjustable.

I know that people here use mounts that can be bought, and looking at them I see the prices are great. I would much rather use a tried and true design if I can and it would be alot easier on me if I start making these things for customers.

What type of mounts have you used or seen being used?

mtbr member
    cateye mounts are ultra reliable, I've used their lights for years and years. You could buy new or salvage the parts from an old light, if you or your LBS has one lying around.

shining bright
    I saw a cateye and I was thinking about it. Most run about $5 and seem like a neat way to go. Really the only work needed is figuring out how to modify the mount to fit the light or build the light housing to fit the mount the way it comes from the factory.

Dinner for wolves
    Depends on how big your unit is...knowhutimean? The cateyes are working well for my 2x XPG lights. I use one to mount my battery pack too. But for my 4xXRE Homage to Achesalot, there is just no way a single cateye would inspire confidence. For that light I use parts from two plastic rear reflectors and some bolts. Ghetto, but strong and cheap. I have some marginally helpful pics.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=11
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    well, I'd buy a spacer ($2, 533-8730) and bolt it onto the bottom of your light, then you can use any handlebar bracket as they're all the same. You'll also get the benefit of the side to side adjustment. I don't think that would detract from your excellent CNC'd bodies

shining bright
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Depends on how big your unit is...knowhutimean? The cateyes are working well for my 2x XPG lights. I use one to mount my battery pack too. But for my 4xXRE Homage to Achesalot, there is just no way a single cateye would inspire confidence. For that light I use parts from two plastic rear reflectors and some bolts. Ghetto, but strong and cheap. I have some marginally helpful pics.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=11
    Yes I know the weight matters significantly, but unfortunately I have no idea at the moment how much it weighs. I can tell you that it should be light (weight) enough for a single mount.

I too have made a rear reflector mount to work at the moment, but I will be doing some more research to get a better one made or adapted to it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A little piece of formed sheetmetal. Four 4-40 fh screws. A couple of o-rings, A couple of pieces of innertube.

This mount straddles the stem. My bars sweep up quite close to the stem, and every single sided mount I tried or looked at lands on the beginning of the bend. That resulted in the light always being crooked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good bar mount..What are you guys using?-new-image.jpg  

shining bright
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    A little piece of formed sheetmetal. Four 4-40 fh screws. A couple of o-rings, A couple of pieces of innertube.

This mount straddles the stem. My bars sweep up quite close to the stem, and every single sided mount I tried or looked at lands on the beginning of the bend. That resulted in the light always being crooked.
    Does this require tapping the bar itself? I remember seeing your thread about your build. That is a neat switch setup and the light looks really good man.

shining bright
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    well, I'd buy a spacer ($2, 533-8730) and bolt it onto the bottom of your light, then you can use any handlebar bracket as they're all the same. You'll also get the benefit of the side to side adjustment. I don't think that would detract from your excellent CNC'd bodies
    So this piece just slides into any of Cateye's mounts? If so this might be something I could work with. I could simply leave the bottom of my housing flat instead of worrying with leaving a tab and I could easily bolt this to it. Then just leave the mount installed and remove the light when not in use. Am I understanding that part correctly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    u understand correct,

Vancbiker's light sits on top of the bars over the stem mount and an O-ring goes around each leg and around the bars think magicshine mount, i think the 2 bolts are the to hold the O-ring in place to the mounting

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cncwhiz
    So this piece just slides into any of Cateye's mounts? If so this might be something I could work with. I could simply leave the bottom of my housing flat instead of worrying with leaving a tab and I could easily bolt this to it. Then just leave the mount installed and remove the light when not in use. Am I understanding that part correctly?
    yep. 100% correct The spring loaded latch is part of the spacer (normally attached to the underside of their lights) and locks into the handlebar bracket. Press, slide and it's off. I don't know how long they've had this design, at least 8-10yrs though (memory gets fuzzy), but it works pretty well. I'll be cannabalising an old Cateye halogen I bought 8-10yrs ago for the spacer to add to a bar light I'm making for my brother for Christmas - it was easier than anything else I could think of.

shining bright
    I wonder what the best source is in the US to get one of these mounts and spacers.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by acezone
    Vancbiker's light sits on top of the bars over the stem mount and an O-ring goes around each leg and around the bars think magicshine mount, i think the 2 bolts are the to hold the O-ring in place to the mounting
    Ace has it right. The 4-40 FH screws just make a "hook" to hold the o-ring. Magicshine, Lupine and others use a similar concept

A waste of time it is is
    exactly what I now do.

All my lights have the spacers permanently attached which also allows me to switch my bar lights to my helmet and visa versa should the need ever arise, usually when a mates lights break down.

I got the quick release for the bars but it should be noted that it is not a true quick release. It does have a cam that allows for quick adjusting of direction but to remove it from the bars you need to completely unscrew it. Not a big deal but worth noting none the less.

You can get them from Cateye direct but I got mine from Whoz from this forum that sells stuff under the Alien eye website http://www.amquix.info/alieneye/costs.html Great service and happy to recommend him again

mtbr member
    I wonder what the best source is in the US to get one of these mounts and spacers.
    your LBS should be able to get you one for not much money. I think I'll need one for a commuting light I'll be making for myself soon as I don't want to hack up an existing Cateye LED light.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    I don't know how long they've had this design, at least 8-10yrs though (memory gets fuzzy), but it works pretty well. I'll be cannabalising an old Cateye halogen I bought 8-10yrs ago for the spacer to add to a bar light I'm making for my brother for Christmas - it was easier than anything else I could think of.
    Heh, I have an old Cateye halogen from at least that long ago, with the same mounting mechanism described by emu26. I was going to cannibalize it to mount my new MS 1400 (since I have heard the o-rings do a poor job of holding the light head steady). But I bought the Electron mount from CRC. Just screws onto the MS light head with the existing screw and a washer for spacing. The Cateye will make a nice get-me-back-to-the-car backup light since it runs on AAs and the light head and battery case are all integrated.

mtbr member
    I'm a huge fan of the Exposure QR bar mount as it puts the light very close to the stem and just forward of the bar. Expensive unless you're in the UK though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dinner for wolves
    I ordered directly from cateye. Quick shipping, but cost $8. Buy a couple of helmet mounts, quick release handlebar mounts, and loads of spacers to take the sting out of the S&H costs. Don't waste time with the non-quick release bar mounts, as they are nowhere near as versatile as the QR mounts. By the way, one tiny problem with this otherwise great system is that the cleat bolts to the light with only one screw. So you need to glue down the cleat to the light body in order to prevent it rotating around the bolt. Make sense? Try not to get any glue into the spring loaded pin mechanism either. An drunken chimp could make this work, so I am sure you don't need this advice.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    I have an Exposure QR on the way. Looks about perfect for most applications.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 for Exposure mounts, but they were too expensive for my build. Most quick release mounts are reasonable quality these days.
    I copied the "T" slide from a cheapo light into mine and it gives me a variety of mounting options.

Last edited by ZacAttack!; 12-01-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Ola
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    I use this one

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29410

for all my bar lights. I permanently screw the mount to the light, so no quick release. BUT; the design is "hinged" so it needs no bending and is really quick and easy to remove and mount onto another bike. I ride many bikes with the same light so I see no reason to have quick release to only remove the light, since I still have to remove the mount itself to switch to another bike. In short words the entire mount is quick released instead of having quick released light.

Carbon8er
    I use the Marwi mounts
    More info and pics here
    https://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights7.htm

mtbr member
    I use the lumicycle mount, very strong. If you buy the large you can take the link out to make it smaller..
    http://www.lumicycle.com/product/214...k-bracket.html

www.hahntronix.com
    Wow you guys are making me feel very self conscious about selling bikelights that use 3/4 and 1 inch conduit hanger clamps to hold the light to the bars (I ship both sizes with light, I've given up on expecting people to accurately measure their bar size).

Cover as much of the hanger as you can in heatshrink, add a wingnut, and voila you have a $0.85 bar mount. Pictures at: http://www.hahntronix.com (and I bought an ad: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=57778&cat=27 so I hope mentioning my site is cool).

I do like the Mawri mounts, and have sold a few to folks. Guess I'll be buying them from you EL34 from now on, your prices are good.

Mark
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Nimium est melior!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=El34]I use the Marwi mounts
    More info and pics here
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights7.htm

Agreed- these are my preferred bar mounts because of the QR and swivel features.

Carbon8er
    Guess I'll be buying them from you EL34 from now on, your prices are good
    Thank you sir.

Also the handlebar mount fits on both size bars, 25 and 31mm, which is a great feature.
    It does not show in the picture up above but it does on my web info page
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights7.htm

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How about a stem mount? Velcro strap through slots in sheetmetal bracket.

Just keepin it DIY after all!

mtbr member
    VanC can you share where you got the yellow cable from please?

Nice braids you have.. was thinking about putting them on my XT disc brakes..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The cable is used on industrial sensors. Bought off Ebay. Details in this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=574292

Carbon8er
    Just noticed that you flip your stem upside down also.
    I had to do that on my Yeti ASR to get the front end to feel right.

BTW, I see your Cane Creek headset.
    Cool company.
    Cane Creek is just down the road a few miles from me. The business that is, not the creek.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    How about a stem mount? Velcro strap through slots in sheetmetal bracket.

Just keepin it DIY after all!
    That's got me thinking, I'm going to have to measure up. Are the cables a problem?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    Are the cables a problem?
    I use that type of cable because it has a very flexible yet tough polyurethane jacket and the connectors are watertight. They also just snap together instead of threading together like many watertight connectors. The OD is 4.3mm or so. That helps when trying to fit it into a small build and still have sealing and strain relief. Apologies to the OP for getting his thread off topic

Old Fart at Play
    http://www.cateye.com/store/parts.php?cid=2_23

This is the mount I used to replace the rubber strap on my Dinotte 1200L+ Dual Quad.
    Last edited by Titus Maximus; 12-06-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    "... displays the social skills of a barrel cactus." - TNC

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I use the Marwi mounts
    More info and pics here
    https://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights7.htm

Yep, same here. $16 a shot, but durable as hell.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Members who have read this thread: 0