GeoManGear battery rebuild- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

GeoManGear battery rebuild

I have a 4 year old GeoManGear battery for MagicShine I think is getting tired and was curious if anyone has rebuilt these and what's involved?

Also what cells from where (link) would you suggest?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    i had what looks to be exactly the same battery from GeoManGear (actually 2 of them). i got them as replacements for the recalled ones from years back. the battery packs stopped working and seemed like it was the case so i pulled the batteries and cut off the connector. i bought a battery holder like the one below to put them in and soldered on the old connector. i charged the individual cells all separately first in case they were out of balance and then shrink wrapped them in the holder it to somewhat protect them. they have been working fine again for 2 seasons with what seems like decent run time which is amazing given their age and amount of use. if the cells go i can pop new ones in the holder and re-shrink wrap them.

Name:  Battery Holder.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  16.1 KBGeoManGear battery rebuild-img_2293.jpg

this may or may not help you since it sounds like your cells might be the problem and not the case... but getting a holder like this still might give you the flexibility to change cells or charge them individually if you need to. good luck.
    Last edited by honkonbobo; 11-19-2015 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarel View Post
    I have a 4 year old GeoManGear battery for MagicShine I think is getting tired and was curious if anyone has rebuilt these and what's involved?

Also what cells from where (link) would you suggest?

Thanks.
    I have two that I rebuilt with some nice cells I had laying around. You need to be able to solder lithiums OR have a spot welder.

The case is hard to crack open and then once you do working tolerances are tight for re assembly. I just used a putty knife and gently pried it open. I used ABS pipe cement to put it back together.

Honestly I would just buy the batteries that Ledoman found at KD which are $29 for a sealed 4 cell pack of NCR18650B. See the thread in the night riding forum.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for info and tip on that other battery. Wow that looks like an amazing deal and probably can't even buy just the cells for that price.

For my GEOMANs I read somewhere cells can get out of balance and cause problems. Is it possible to re-balance them without breaking the connections and what is the process and charger needed? Might be worth it for general batt maintenance if this is a common problem that inevitably happens over time?

mtbr member
    Those cells are pretty old. They are actually panasonics with a lower capacity. I would bet that the cells are worn out and not really out of balance too far. Which is what I measured on mine.

There are many threads on balancing and such here. You need to add leads and get a hobby charger.

For myself. I decided it's not worth it and I will just replace batteries when runtimes drop off too much.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The effect of unbalanced cells in a series pack is pretty well demonstrated here. OP has a pack made with high grade (Panasonic) cells is bad after 4 years because it has no balancing ability. I am still using some 7 year old @#$%Fire cells that still have OK run times. Difference being, they are balanced every charge.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Buddy of mine just had 2 of these that he said had quit working. Cracked them both open to find nice Panasonic 3000mah cells, that still charged and discharged to 90% of their capacity if I bypassed the protection circuit.

Soldered in new protection boards, and all was right with the world again.