free li-ion batterys!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

free li-ion batterys!

hey, ive been a lurker for a while and i reckon its about time to make my own light,

Has anyone every thought of using phone batterys to power there light? Apparently there between 850-1300mah per battery depending on model, and this could be increased by wiring them in parallel. Has anyone tried this? or could see any idea why itd be a complete failure?
    it seems like a pretty cheap source for a battery and i know plenty of people with old phones kicking around, free source of li-ion batterys!
    And if you get to a dire situation and your light runs out, you could just crack the one out of your phone!

cheers
    A

mtbr member
    Hey elpresidente, your not the first .... yeh been there, done that, got the t shirt,
    they have a current limiting device built in
    they`re expensive = not free
    not that easy to connect together
    there are shedloads of better alternatives
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i wasnt suggestin buyin new ones, just recylcing old ones
    how does the current limitation work? i can see this in series being an issue as the current will go along the branch and combined current goin through both, but in parallel it should only give off the rated 850mA

has anyone any other ideas at a cheap source of rechargeable batterys?

Lets RIDE!
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Lets RIDE!
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That suggestion is good enough to say twice.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elpresidente
    how does the current limitation work? i can see this in series being an issue as the current will go along the branch and combined current goin through both, but in parallel it should only give off the rated 850mA

How would you connect the batteries? Rigging up a holder is going to be a fiddly mess, but if you soldered them together, that's both difficult and dangerous, and then charging is going to be a right pain. Then by the end of it, you've got a piss-weak 3.7V which isn't much use for a strong light anyway.

Better options are what the other guys are suggesting- 18650 cells + a Turboferret holder. I'd stay away from the DX cells as I've gottem some really bad test results from them (others seem happy though).

Another option is to buy a battery pack for a drill, and rip the cells out of that. Lots of info on the net about how to do this. Note that this isn't completely straightforwards- you need to get a protection circuit and a polyswitch (cheap), a hobby charger (not so cheap) and figure out how to build a balanced pack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just ordered them from batteryspace.com. I ordered last night and got a tracking number last night that they would arrive by Thursday. $42.99 for a basic 14.8V 2200mAh.

Edit - their charger seemed like a solid deal too. I learned from my R/C racing good batteries make a huge difference as does handling and charging them right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elpresidente

Li-ion and li-polymer batteries get worse as they become older. Think about laptop batteries for example, after a year 15-30% of the capacity already is lost. So you'd only want to buy new batteries, anything else is a waste of money and time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    trouble is the cost of shipping from places like batteryspace makes them poor value so the likes of DX are probably the best bet for Li batteries.

But if you want to keep it cheap and simple a NiCd or NiMH pack is probably the easiest. Charging can be done with a very simple trickle charger (if you don't mind an overnight charge) and packaging them is dead easy. The only downside is some extra weight.

EDIT: on the batteryspace comment I am refering to shipping to the UK.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tobymack
    (if you don't mind an overnight charge).

isnt that when ur sposed to use them?

sorry, couldnt resist.

M

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

you know what I mean.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ok so nokia is a deffinate no no then, how about something like a camcorder battery, much more compact than a drill battery, has anyone any experience of using one? there 7.2v found a new 4200mAh for 13.50 and i already have a charger for one! bonus and some older smaller powered batteries,
    Or should just give up on the idea of being a cheapskate and part with some of my hard earned student loan

thanks for all the input guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Something I'm going to check out is when a laptop battery gives trouble it is replace most of the time. Sometimes you can get the "busted" laptop battery for free. Now sometimes some of the battery cells is ok thus you could get free cells. How much life is left in them is another question. Like I said going to check it out sometime but I not having any hopes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have bought some cheap lipo 11,1 and 7,4 V 4000mAh packs on ebay - cca 15-20$/pack. When they will be depleted I'll go for LiFe. They can be charged 2000 times. For now I am looking at K226650EV at https://www.zeva.com.au/store.php?product=85 or http://www.battlepack.com/LFP26650EV.pdf at http://www.battlepack.com/LiFEPO4.asp

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The difference in size between 18650 (standard size for li-ion cells) and 26650. I can't see any advantages in the longer life of LiFe cells. A battery pack for a cycling light doesn't need to last 15 years

mtbr member
    ok so nokia is a deffinate no no then, how about something like a camcorder battery, much more compact than a drill battery, has anyone any experience of using one? there 7.2v found a new 4200mAh for 13.50 and i already have a charger for one! bonus and some older smaller powered batteries,
    Or should just give up on the idea of being a cheapskate and part with some of my hard earned student loan
    Camcorder batteries are great provided you want a 7.4v Li-Ion, I've used them for years and I know MSXTR does too.

The difference in size between 18650 (standard size for li-ion cells) and 26650. I can't see any advantages in the longer life of LiFe cells. A battery pack for a cycling light doesn't need to last 15 years
    The main advantage is that LiFe cells don't explode or catch fire.
    Shame they have to be bigger and deliver less volts.

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Camcorder batteries are great provided you want a 7.4v Li-Ion, I've used them for years and I know MSXTR does too.
    Yes, you are right, this work very well.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    I used Sony camcorder batteries for a while (Infolithium M), but found that the current draw with my light on HIGH was too much and would trip the current limiter. FWIW, I was running a triple Cree Q5 light with a Fatman driver set to 1000mA and a low of 400mA. It ran fine for my entire commute (40min) on low, but would only power the light on high for about 20-30 sec. before shutting down. I've since switched to a Li-ion pack from Batteryspace (4Ah, 7.2v) and won't look back.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Li-ion battery packs cost a bit to land in OZ so cheap camcorder batteries from the ebay sellers always look an attractive option locally, (i've managed to pick up quite a few from local sales as well for a few bucks each). For those using them, what method do you use to attach cable. I tried making a "cradle" a year or so ago using some "knead-it" putty, (that putty stuff that sets hard), but it didn't really work. Other options gleaned from the WEB seem to be:

- crack the case open and solder in a fly lead, (use normal charger to charge).
    - buy a battery that has terminals that a mini banana plug will fit into and attach lead that way. Pull out for charging. (mini banana plugs seem hard to get in Australia)
    - buy a charging plate for the specific model of battery and turn into a holder.
    - quickly solder cable onto terminals.

?????

Any ideas appreciated. I have a few very cheap camcorder batteries lying around and a universal charger and always wanted to use them in place of NiMH but just couldn't work out how to connect them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Elpresidente
    as you're in the UK, to save you all the grief of building youre own, I can build you a new Li-ion battery using high quality 2.6Ah cells, along with a matching Li-ion charger if you need it.
    I can email you more info and pics if needed.
    please email me for more info should you require it.

Carbon8er
    recycled batteries will give you recycled results.

18650's are $3.50 each at Dx and the charger is $8.
    That's way more bang for your buck with a bunch of performance.

That is, if the DX web site ever comes back up.
    What's it been 3 or 4 days?

Members who have read this thread: 0