First light questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First light questions

So, I've been poking around here for a few days now. I would appreciate any feedback that anybody has before I start ordering the parts for my first light. Here is what I'm thinking:

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Yeah that looks fine to me.
    I have used these optics from DX http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1920 and they have been fine. They give a good spot with some side spill. May be worth getting if your getting the rest from DX.

Dont forget your battery!

mtbr member
    Anybody have any recommendations for a driver that could power both LEDs? My understanding is that the one I linked to can only do 1 LED, thus the need for 2 - is this right?

mtbr member
    These have been recommended to me by a few guys. Lots of info on CPF about them.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=538900

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by robtarr
    Anybody have any recommendations for a driver that could power both LEDs? My understanding is that the one I linked to can only do 1 LED, thus the need for 2 - is this right?
    Choices will depend on your battery voltage and how you wire your LEDs. I am a fan of the Taskled Flex series drivers because of their battery voltage monitoring feature and their temperature sensing feature. They are more expensive though. For a light like you are proposing, I would use a 7.4V battery (2x18650 in series connection or 4x18650 in a 2 series x 2 parallel connection) or an 11.1V battery (3x18650 in series connection or 6x18650 in 3series x 2 parallel connection) depending on your desired runtime. Connect your LEDs in series and use a bFlex or nFlex driver. The drivers are the same spec just different form factors to fit different style housings.

mtbr member
    So, after looking at the info from this thread, and deciding to order parts from the US (as I can't afford to wait very long to get them) I have decided on the following, which I am planning on ordering tonight:

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by robtarr
    So, after looking at the info from this thread, and deciding to order parts from the US (as I can't afford to wait very long to get them) I have decided on the following, which I am planning on ordering tonight:

Many DIY builders use the 3023 series buckpuck because it is pre-wired.
    http://ledsupply.com/03023-d-e-1000.php

You'll need a dpdt switch and resistor for dual brightness and on/off or a switchpot for variable brightness and on/off. There are several threads on this forum discussing how to do this.

As long as that battery is in good shape you'll get good runtime.

Members who have read this thread: 0