Finished first light build!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Finished first light build!

Well, I finally got my first light build completed. The parts list is:

1 Cree xpg 20mm 3up
    1 20mm Carclo 3up narrow optic (not exactly narrow, more on that later)
    1 b2flex driver
    1 Tenergy 14.8V 2200mAh battery
    1 3 up heatsink from LED Supply
    1 5mm status LED
    1 momentary switch for b2flex control
    1 power switch (kinda nice but not necessary, momentary switch can turn off unit)
    1 Hoffman amps handlebar mount
    1 cable gland
    Magicshine 1ft extension cable used as power wire

So, after getting it all wired it tested it out in the yard and was underwhelmed with the output of the light at 1.5A. I was hoping the light would be around 1100 lumen counting all losses from the driver and optics. Well, it seems to not be much brighter than my magicshine light on full power. This seems to be due to the fact that the "narrow" optic seems to be anything but narrow. Are there any narrower 20mm 3up optics that I could try? Anyways, I've included some crappy iphone pictures that I took earlier today. I'll try to get a beam shot, but no promises. The reason the handlebar mount is off-center is because when placed on the handlebar, the leds will be directly over the stem. The floodiness of this light will make it a good handlebar light I guess.

So, this leads me to my next build. I'd like to build a helmet light that has a tight beam and is quite bright. I originally was going to build a 2x MC-E light, but the new XM-L would be a very nice light to try. Here's what I'd like to build next:

2 Cree XM-L T6 leds
    2 Reginas modified to fit (I've seen people on here who have done this, care to enlighten me?)
    1 H6Flex
    Don't know what kind of enclosure (maybe a different hammond box, perhaps square aluminum tubing)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finished first light build!-light-1rs.jpg  

Finished first light build!-light-2rs.jpg  

Finished first light build!-light-3rs.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg
    Well, it seems to not be much brighter than my magicshine light on full power. This seems to be due to the fact that the "narrow" optic seems to be anything but narrow. Are there any narrower 20mm 3up optics that I could try?
    That problem is what has kept me from doing anything with the 20mm triple format. Some builders have reported a tighter beam using XP-Es. Carclo is, to my knowledge, the only supplier in the 20mm format. Interesting layout on the light!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I don't think it's so much Carclo as it's the fact you aren't providing enough area for proper optics/reflectors. If I were doing a 3up I'd opt for the 35mm Cute3 setup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Outstanding design!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice build there. Keep it up.

Looking for that ultimate beam is what many of us here are chasing.
    If you are looking for throw though, then XPG/XPE with the Regina or the XML/MCE with the iris or Fraen FRC-N1MCE narrow 35mm reflector. The XML is going to be a floody emitter.
    A 20mm optic or reflector will probably give you a beam very similar to your triple.

mtbr member
    excellent ! acres of surface area there for cooling
    where did this item"3 up heatsink from LED Supply" go?
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    excellent ! acres of surface area there for cooling
    where did this item"3 up heatsink from LED Supply" go?
    http://ledsupply.com/alk-20m-3up-eh.php

That's the part I was refering to. I glued the outer part to the hammond housing around a hole that equaled the internal diameter of the headsink. The inner part is butted up against a piece of 90 degree aluminum which is bolted to the hammond housing (this is what the 2 bolts on top are for). Doing it this way allowed me to totally disassemble the unit if I wanted to change anything.

If I go with the XM-L build, I guess what I'm gonna have to do is experiment with different lenses. I'm anxious to get a light built that will have enough throw for my 40 mi/hr roadbike downhill runs.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

mtbr member
    lol 40mph !!!!! now i see why you were complaining!
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    dual XP-G with Regina should give you lots of throw with a spot wide enough for road riding, plus some decent spill for peripheral stuff. A single [email protected] I built for my brother was just awesome for riding on the road (though my speeds were considerably slower than yours would be!), so a twin @1A or higher should suit you down to the ground.

I'm going to try replacing one of the XP-Gs in my helmet light with an XM-L (re-using the existing Regina), for giggles and to see if it can fill in some of the space between the spot and spill without losing any of the throw. We'll see.

I'll also be doing a twin XM-L bar light, with Laura-RS and Regina/Boom SS (bought both to try), going from Troutie's beam shots in the XML discuss thread. Going by what everyone else is saying, I'm expecting it to be floody, which should be ideal for a bar light, but less so for helmet light.

mtbr member
    [url]
    If I go with the XM-L build, I guess what I'm gonna have to do is experiment with different lenses. I'm anxious to get a light built that will have enough throw for my 40 mi/hr roadbike downhill runs.
    I'd go twin regina XPG @ 1.5A. Should be plenty bright enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice one.

I'm going to use a amoeba design with 1" tubing on 2x xml. Those hammond boxes look good and are easier to build, but I already have the scrap aluminum.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    The Fraen 13,5 degree 35mm reflector has great throw with MC-E, so I would assume it has at least as good throw with XM-L. Should be worth a try if throw is what you want.

Dirt Deviant
    Hey, looking good man. Hoffman makes some cool boxes!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Members who have read this thread: 0