A few question so I can finish my first built.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... A few question so I can finish my first built.

Hi there! I started a 2x CREE project back in Fall 07... That I managed to almost complete last week! I built a "Aschaelot" design 2x CREE XR-E P4 with a bflex driver. The main reason the project took so long was my concern of nuking my components while trying to weld everything together!!! I test rode the light this week end and I am amazed of the performance! It's 100% better than I could ever imagined! But now I need to finish the last remaining details.

First, I want to buy a helmet mount from Cateye but they don't sell outside the US, anyone knows how I can get my hands on the Cateye parts in Canada?

Secondly, my P4s are plenty bright but of course, Q5s would be even better. Is there a way for me to remove my 2 stars (Wich I AAA'd to my light frame) without destroying everything?

Finaly, can I use a 7.4V w/ a ton of mA (4400) battery safely with my setup ---> They are cheaper than 14.4V!

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Google search pulls up
    CANADA
    CYCLES LAMBERT INC.
    1000, rue des Riveurs
    Levis (Quebec) G6V 7M6
    Tel: 418-835-1685
    Fax: (1)418-835-5322
    e-mail: [email protected]

as a dealer for cateye products.

You can remove stars AAA'd in with some force. Damage to your housing would depend on how well it is built and how careful you apply force.
    The difference in output is probably not worth the effort. Yes, lumen increase, but percieved light output to the human eye will be minimal.

Two leds in series will have a Vf around 7. Battery at 7.4 gives you no room for your average buck driver to drop voltage.

Finish and enjoy your light.
    Start your next project and implement your improvements.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    odtexas pretty much nailed it. I would try a razor blade between the star and the housing to get it off.

Let's see some pictures
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Hi
    thanks for the replys. I just contacted my local store and he can have the helmet mount, ok, it's twice the price with Lambert but I want my lamp to be 100%.

As for the AAA, I guess I will leave my P4s there, too much trouble for not much.

I will try to sourcr 14.4V batteries localy, if there is nothing good, I will go with 8x rechargeable AAs.

And pics.... Eeee, hold on.

mtbr member
    There it is.

Used a bit of BBQ paint, every project I make ends up flat black

Beam shot sucks... sorry

By Billabang

By Billabang

By Billabang

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good looking light you have there. Nice work and I like the simple heat sink solution.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by Billabang

I will try to sourcr 14.4V batteries localy, if there is nothing good, I will go with 8x rechargeable AAs.

The other option is 18650 cells from DX and build a pack using a ferret holder or a DIY version of something similar.

PS good looking light

mtbr member
    Stick with the P4's if they are U bin. I have lights with P4 U bins and Cree R2's....not a lot between them really.

You can use a high capacity 7.4v for 2xP4 it would start at 8.4v off the charger and the lights will dim at around 6.75v. If the capacity is 4400ma or more you could get 3 hours before it dims....then you get about 30 mins on low before cutoff.

11.1v ( 3 x 18650's ) would be the ideal though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments!

I just ordered a 8x AA holder on ebay and I will get 2500mAh rechargeable batteries.

Yes, the heatsink is kinda simple but I filled the inside with thermal paste, the whole body warms up but the bflex never tripped at 50C.

And odtexas, don't start giving me the idea of building my next light already, my GF is going to leave me!

Members who have read this thread: 0