Experimental light with a twist.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Experimental light with a twist.

I feel the need to invent again so have dreamed up this idea to have an experiment with .

I got to thinking we use a helmet light to scan round the corners and the bar light just shines where the wheel is pointing , so why not have a couple of leds shining at 45 degrees to the front beam , then as you approach a switchback it will light up where you are going to turn to .
    This was conceived when I was testing the insane quad mce and it nearly made the helmet light redundant with the sheer output .

I had a hope face plate from when i was experimenting with the stem light but never used it , then Hendo put up a link to one and it rekindled an idea I had a while back .

I am not sure yet how it will be driven but the driver/s will be in a pod fitted to the base of the faceplate

mtbr member
    Brilliant!

You sir have too many cool LED's to play with

mtbr member
    lol dude that is one crazy light, i love it!
    but you do have a point though ...
    quite a while ago we were riding tight twisty trails through bushy scrub
    great fun but often a turn would catch me out because i missed it,.... brake,....stop,....turn around ...
    so i made this, 2 x Q5 @ 1Amp each, on a remote driver
    something like a zebralight on steroids! floody or wot!
    worked like a charm
    it clipped onto the the frame steerer head tube with a bracket made from plastic wastepipe
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

Single Speed Junkie
    Your not going to be happy until everyone you ride with is blind are you?

Lets RIDE!
    12 XP-Es??? You sir, are mad (or just out-doing Deesta's 3x3?)

I do like the side lighting idea though...sort of like the turning lights that used to be on some higher $ cars (maybe still are?).

Where is the beamshot?

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    12 XP-Es??? You sir, are mad (or just out-doing Deesta's 3x3?)

I do like the side lighting idea though...sort of like the turning lights that used to be on some higher $ cars (maybe still are?).

Where is the beamshot?

JZ

Yep you are correct in your diagnosis on madness ( not trying to outdo Deestas this will most definatly look home made and is evolving slowly so it could be quite a while before any beamshots appear.

Crux it is my who is the blind old fool and need all the help I can get.

Hendo thats cool , I have been thinking for a while that if you made the bottom and sides from clear acrylic you would utilise the wasted lumens in a similar way

Huffy no leds yet to put in it yet this is just playing around with bits of aluminium at the moment and if it looks good when I have finished then it will get some leds .

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So now you need to rig up some sensors on your bike and design some nice circuitry so that as you turn your front wheel, the emitter on that respective side starts ramping up in brightness the more you turn.

Edit: Okay, so this would actually leave the corner dark until you initiated the turn... guess that was a bit of a fail on my part. Logic past midnight doesn't seem to work right.
    22 Pride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    So now you need to rig up some sensors on your bike and design some nice circuitry so that as you turn your front wheel, the emitter on that respective side starts ramping up in brightness the more you turn.
    I think BMW or Citroen had some headlights that were linked in with the steering rack.... nowadays they are looking at maps and GPS so the car knows a corner is approaching so the lights turn before you do...

Tis is a good idea Troutie, especially for us roadies who want a really tight beam until we hit the twisty stuff, though I think 45 degrees is over doing it.
    I've thought about adding a similar floody battery powered light for descents but now my latest idea is one narrow and one wide beam...the wide in a parallel string that you can switch in or out. Just need to find some super tight XPE optics now...

I spelled Knievel wrong
    Crazy, I like it. It looks a bit like the thruster from the Millennium Falcon.

My first car was a 1980 SAAB 900T that had cornering lights that turned on when you engaged the turn signals. They were actually pretty bright and filled in everything up close from the doors forward to the main beam. They were very useful for midnight rally runs out in the country and it seems like it would be good for MTB too!
    Last edited by StevelKnivel; 04-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Yah Mr T

will it be up and running for the weekend

mtbr member
    @ Hack on wheels

Yes Znomit i did wonder about making them adjustable to fing the best angle but had a play with a torch and settled on 45 degrees if i put in a wideish optic I am hoping for it to blend with the main beam which will be a mixture of narrow to wide

Smudge I doubt it will be working for the weekend

Members who have read this thread: 0