Dynamo overvoltage protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dynamo overvoltage protection

Hi everyone

I have a project, where I want to get USB 5V out of a dynamo.
    Its a standard 6v/3W dynamo.
    I can make the switch mode regulator circuit, there are loads out there. And I can rectify the AC from the hub to DC. But, if there is no load on the circuit and I ride over 25mph, the dynamo can produce over 100v. The 5V regulators I've seen, has a Vin MAX of 60V.

I would like to limit the voltage after (or before) the rectifier, but keeping the circuit as efficient as possible, as its my spindly legs that's powering it!
    I have seen a few circuits with 2 zener diodes in parallel to Vin. Seems simple enough, but they don't look all that efficient. The other reason I'm asking on here is that the posts are often over 6 years old. Has the tech caught up and is there a more efficient method? Preferably something that doesn't get hot.

If not, can I get some help in selecting the correct zener for the job. I know ktronic has done a lot of work on dynamo lights, hiopefully he'll see this!

Links to the zener protection I have seen

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Vprotect.pdf
    https://people.nscl.msu.edu/~daniel/sreg.htm

Thanks muchly!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If there is a more efficient way, I haven't stumbled upon it. The commercially available overvoltage limiters use zenners as I understand it - eg shimano overvoltage protection.

From a conceptual point of view, to limit voltage wouldn't you need to either open circuit the dynamo (ie before the rectifier) or add a load.

Is there any reason a switch wouldn't work - ie disconnect the dynamo when no load ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post

Is there any reason a switch wouldn't work - ie disconnect the dynamo when no load ?
    Then it isn't really failsafe protection is it? Want something automatic I think.
    Good to know zeners are still the component of choice, nice and easy! Cheers, I'll have a look at that link you sent, never really thought of looking at OEM.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't think the Shimano one will permit enough voltage for your purposes - I believe it limits to less than 9V

mtbr member
    Yeah, I saw that too.
    I've found a good alternative. Use an AC zener on the AC side and couple a thermoswitch directly to the zener. Zener starts conducting, heats up, the switch opens the circuit. No more voltage flows and the zener cools down.
    This wont be a problem as there will only be an over voltage if there is no load.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Neat solution - got a link to the parts you are using ?