DX bike light to Marwi mount prototype- Mtbr.com
    Carbon8er

DX bike light to Marwi mount prototype

I have had several inquiries asking if you can mate up a DX bike light to The Marwi mounts.

I had been thinking about this a while back and so today I cut out a prototype on my CNC machine.

I can make these from black HDPE if there is any interest.
    Probably be $3 - $5 each, just a guess.

More info and bigger pics on this page
    https://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights38.htm

DX light shown on Marwi handlebar mount

DX light shown on Marwi helmet mount
    Last edited by El34; 07-09-2009 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Count me in for 1! This will fill a need, as I want to helmet mount mine. I'm a little baffled why they didn't spend an extra buck and include a helmet mount.

www.hahntronix.com
    If you take one apart and look at how cheaply they are made ... well you won't ask why they don't spend a buck.

Mark

Carbon8er
    Ok, I'll have to get some .75" thick material coming and then I'll cut some mount adapters.

I'll also have to get some nice metric cap screws to secure the adpater to the light with more than the 2 threads worth that mine was secured when I got the light from DX.

I'll report back
    see ya

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would be in for one of these. Ideally I (and likely others) would like to purchase a helmet mount kit for this light. Sell this adapter with a marwi mount and a cord to extend the wire so the battery can fit in a camelbak and you'll have plenty of interest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ideally what I'd like is something to allow me to swap it between helmet and handlebar use-on very rare occasions I'll ride w/o helmet, when it's blazing hot up here.

Carbon8er
    Ordering the materials today.

Ideally what I'd like is something to allow me to swap it between helmet and handlebar use-on very rare occasions I'll ride w/o helmet, when it's blazing hot up here
    The Marwi mounts are interchangeable between the Helmet and handlebar mounts.
    Just slide the light off the helmet and slide it onto the handlebars.
    More info about the Marwi mounts on the page below.

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm
    Last edited by El34; 07-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Carbon8er
    I ordered a 3/4" thick sheet of black HDPE to cut these adapers from.

I ordered some black 4mm x 10mm long allen head metric cap screws to secure the adapter to the DX light body.

The only thing that is funky about this whole arrangement is that the DX light adapter really should have two mounting screws to keep the adapter from twisting.

The power cord exits the body right next to the screw which prevents you from drilling and tapping another mounting screw in that location.

May not be an issue, have to wait and see.

Carbon8er
    Edit:
    I went back to the drawing board and came up with a better design.
    The new design feels way better to me, I wasn't happy with design #1

I made the adapter longer so that it bites into the body of the DX light better and this keeps it from trying to swivel side to side.
    The cord is now able to exit up through the adapter body and this prevents the adapter from swiveling side to side.
    I cut a small relief in the adapter that allows room for an internal toothed lock washer.
    When you crank down the big mounting bolt, the lock washer bites into the Marwi mount and the adpater and this keeps the light from swiveling up and down.

I still show a recessed cap screw in the image below, but I think I am going to switch to a pan head or a low profile truss head screw.
    Before, I had to recess the screw head, it was in the way of the Marwi mount, now I have plenty of room with this design so I can have a screw head above the surface of the adpater.
    You can crank down a pan head or truss screw more than a small headed cap screw.

See the images in the first post above to see how the adapter looks on Marwi handlebar and helmet mounts.

Also, I have more info and larger pictures on my web site here.

Anyone have any feed back before I go cut some of these on the CNC?

Last edited by El34; 07-09-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Carbon8er
    I finally nailed down a design that I am happy with.

I ended up having the CNC machine cut a groove so that the power cord can exit to the left or right of the DX light.

The adapter now is very stable and integrates nicely with the Marwi Helmet and Handlebar mounts.

Gonna be switching to the screw shown below to secure these to the DX bodies

I should have these up on my web store by tomorrow.
    I'll create a new MTBR classified ad regarding these mounts so it is cool to post info about them.

Larger pics and more info here.

mtbr member
    EL that mount is looking real good. I'm actually thinking of buying one of these lights, first because they are so cheap ($) and second because the later buyers are reporting a little bit better quality then the first batch that was sold. Coupled with one of those Marwi adaptors I could have a half decent back up light ( or loaner light ) that could be used either on the bars or helmet. I have tons of old Marwi stuff just laying around.

Carbon8er
    Cool, I'll have the mounts all set up on the store soon.

It's pretty handy to be able to use the Marwi helmet and handlebar mounts
    It will let lots of folks have a choice in the way they mount the light.

see ya

Carbon8er
    Ok, I machined a bunch of the DX light adapters and I rounded up a nice low profile metric button head screw.

It's now real easy to mount a DX P7 light to a Marwi helmet or handlebar mount.
    You can move the DX light back and forth between the helmet or bars without a rubber band, duct tape, gum, velcro or bat saliva.

The adapter is $3.50 incuding a button head screw that fits the threads on the DX body.

more pics and info here.

Oct 2009
    Thought I might like to share a little mod I've done on el34's awesome adapter It enables it to be attached without having to de- and re-solder the power cord - which also means it can be swapped easily between Marwi & o-ring mount options.

NB: The adapter will be installed upside down compared to it's originally intended use.

Pic1: Using a round file & flat bladed soldering iron I deepened the horizontal cable channel and carved out some corners facing backwards.
    Pic2: Now the cable comes out of the housing, does a sharp sideways bend (to either side - and BTW it's no sharper than that done by the original o-ring mount) and curves backwards through the carved-out corner to keep clear of the horizontal bolt & nut. The cable grommet is used to keep the cable pointing backwards.
    MSHoffmanMod_small.jpg

MSHoffmanSide_small.jpg
    Last edited by snowpanda; 10-04-2009 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    modding the mod........classic DIY

Carbon8er
    It still looks plenty sturdy after removing that material

Members who have read this thread: 0