DX 18650 Trustfire warning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

DX 18650 Trustfire warning

Hi guys, just a heads up for anyone looking for 18650 cells at the moment.

I just ordered and received a set of the SKU 5776 "TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Battery (2400mAh 2-Pack Gray)".

Unfortunately I have tested both cells and found they are only around 1600mAh capacity. (Given the supplier I was never expecting the full 2400, but thought it might be at least 2000mAh).

It seems from the reading I did before buying, that these cells seem to come in good and bad batches.

So just a "buyer beware" warning that the current stock of these particular 18650's (SKU 5776) may fall into the bad batch category at the moment.

Cheers

mtbr member
    G-Mozz, there is no consistency with those DX cells.

I have bought quite a few over the last 18 months and when tested very rarely do two cells come close to each other, not only in capacity but the protection PCB's are not allways the same even in the same batch.

I buy protected cells so that I can remove the PCB's and end up with cells with solder tabs and have found the PCB's can be all different sorts.

I have had some quoted as 2400mah and they have turned out to be 2600mah so there are some good ones about.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll not order any for a while.
    Last edited by yetibetty; 03-01-2009 at 11:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Yetibetty, it's good to know that there are some good ones occasionally.

I can recall reading a thread just very recently where I think someone bought some of the blue ones and they were very close to rated. I have searched but can't find that thread again anywhere! I bought that 5776 version as they seemed to recommended in few threads.

It's a shame as I will have to rejig my design to get the run-time required (that is lower my drive current) or put my hand back in the luckydip bag and try again!

mtbr member
    Yes I have found that the blue 2500mah ones are better built, that's the good thing about taking things apart, you get to see what's in them. (and it's not allways nice).

We Just do the DX thing and hope for the best, it's the price we pay for not paying the price

If you want good ones then get the protected Tenergy ones from BatteryJunction but the luckydip bag will empty quite fast.

Sorry forgot link http://www.batteryjunction.com/2600pcb-18650.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep the luckydip bag will empty fast, 2 x Tenergy cells shipped to Aus is $36. For that money I can buy 8 of the blue cells shipped to my door and just do battery changes mid-trail!

Which blue cells have you have luck with in the past, was it the SKU 5790?

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0