Do we need a 6 x MC-E light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do we need a 6 x MC-E light?

I am currently thinking of making a 6 x MC-E light. 5 will be driven by a hipflex and the sixth by a bflex. That is for when I dont want silly amounts of light. The size of the housing is determined by the size of the stock that I can hold on my lathe. (Will be using the lathe as a mill).

Here are some CAD pics

The dimentions are 67mm x 49mm and 69 long. The fins are 3mm x 3mm and 1mm thick. The 'firewall' is 9mm thick. Made out of Ali. Now I dont think this will be good enough for removing the heat from 6 firey LEDs!

I am not proving anthing here by making it and will I really NEED 4500lm of light that may be melting the aluminium on my handle bars and starting fires on dry patches of grass as I ride along?!

What do you chaps think? Should I do it or just put 4 MC-E in it and have more cooling. However the light wont be on at a standstill as I will have some electronic trickery to only allow the hipflex to come on when the bike is moving. Thus preventing massive over heating.
    Last edited by piesoup; 09-06-2009 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    6 of them sounds fine and impressive, just don't drive them to 100%, throttle them to 70% say power wise, you'll still get 85% output or so and 1/3rd ish less heat. And a longer run time!!

Maybe have a boost mode for 100% for showing off, but only when the heat sink is cold on cold days for short blasts.

mtbr member
    Hi Piesoup.

If I was wanting to do something like that ( I do really ) then I would do it differently.

The MCEs only win out in my quad by the pure volume of lumens being emmitted counter the not very good throw of the mces .

now I did think about doing it with the triple 20 mm xpe boards and when I tested them they had the throw but not the spill My fault as I only had the narrowest optics .

now in the same space you are thinking about and as you are also going to use 2 drivers . why not do it with XPGs or XPEs you will have the same no of emmitters in the same space and be able to mix up the optics for one hell of a wall if light .

I have the idea in my head that 12 xpes and a mix of the 10 mm square optics in a light would be a better light than 4 MCE s .
    and then put the XPGs in to the light and the lumen count would be awesome.

there is a down side and it became evident to me when I did the beamshots from a lot of lights and turned them on one after the other and it got to a point when more lumens started to make it worse ie too much but it will be cool watching your light progress .

mtbr member
    Hi Chris

I agree 100% that it is not the sheer number of lumens sent down the trail but how they are focused and where they are focused. After seeing your MC-E optics test I was impressed with the CMC RS and SS. I made a quick light this evening using a dx driver and 2 MC-Es to check out the beam. Not enough throw! And I managed to short the driver.

So, 4 MC-E and 2 lots of 4 XP-G with 20mm optics. Or those 10mm square ones you used.

Now to find a driver for the XP-Gs!

mtbr member
    Turveyd, I was planning on that too! I'd most probably only end up using the single one most of the time and the MC-Es at half power. This baby is gonna be hot!

mtbr member
    Four mce and eight xpg sounds better, only 5000+ lumens on full !!!!!!!!

Oh quit messing about, just go for the full 24 xpg for 8200 lumens

mtbr member
    24 XP-G!!!! I'll have to sell the bike just to afford them!! But it is something to think about!!

Seriously, would 4 XP-Gs at 700mA be hotter then a single MC-E at 2800mA? Four would be spread over a slightly larger area which would reduce hot spots. How many hipFlexi would that be?! I can see a night of number crunching....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 4 XP-Gs should run cooler since they have a lower resistance and current is the same.

mtbr member
    Thanks Od!
    This is looking promising

mtbr member
    Piesoup, WeLight measured the Vf of some xpg and found it to be 3.3 - 3.2 volts at 1Amp so at 700mA should be even lower, hope this helps with the number crunching and driver selection

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumphumper
    Piesoup, WeLight measured the Vf of some xpg and found it to be 3.3 - 3.2 volts at 1Amp so at 700mA should be even lower, hope this helps with the number crunching and driver selection
    Thank you kind sir!
    I've been searching high and low for those figures. Maybe the hipflex and bflex I already have will be sufficient! Hope so as my wallet is t as deep as it used to be!

Members who have read this thread: 0