DIY Sphere +- Mtbr.com

Thread: DIY Sphere +

RAKC

DIY Sphere +

So I put in a a lot of research figuring out a way that I could build an integrated sphere.

Foam half spheres that interlock was the cheapest, easiest and surprisingly easy to make consistent. Calibration takes a while due to the fact that internal coating isnt something i can replicate.

After all that, running comparisons against known/tested lights the numbers come back very consistently, few % variation which is expected anyway.

And can do alot when the foam is 80mm thick . Inset the sensor, glue in t-nuts to allow bolt on mounting of light weight parts and such while being removable.

Made use of all the extra gopro mounting parts I have (making life so much simpler )

Can test bike lights and flashlight alike, have a series of white plastic "adapters" that are/will be cut as need to fit any lights I need to in order to reduce the size of the input hole.

The set up allows me to test bike lights full output/runtime comparison by using the cooling tube. Intake scooped where tube meets sphere so air is drawn towards the center then back across the light body. Since the foam is so thick the tapered scoops on all 4 sides was easy to make and allow a bolt on interface (glued in t-nuts).

Also transferred the voltage/current readout to the sphere base just for convenience for testing.

Here's the results for all lights I have so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Next is to "upgrade" the wind tunnel, making it an tunnel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thats pretty cool , would be interesting to see the output of the lights I've made.