DIY Lights revisited- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

DIY Lights revisited

Hey Guys

More than 2 years ago when HID was all the rage I got all excited about LED lighting ans knocked up these housings

I used a couple of Luxeon III's a fatman driver (now appears dead) and 4 x AA's which all worked OK but could never keep up with the HID's

I shelved the idea and havent been night riding since but am know getting back into it and it and LED's are a different story now

I've thinking about what I should load the housings with and here are my ideas and questions

a cree R2 in each housing with fatman and 4x 18650'sin parallel which should be good for about 400 lumen Runtime?

3x cree XPE's and a 20mm optic in each housing with maxflex 4 x 18650's in series for about 14volt and 2200mah which should be simular to trouties light and good for 1000 lumen I am worried runtime might be a bit short so might require 8 x 18650's for 4400mah

Or do I go MCE but I am not sure on the diameter of the reflectors and what sort of battery voltage I would need or driver to suit 2 of them any thoughts?

I would appreciate any advice as to what you think the best route would be

Thanks for your help

Pete

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete
    I've thinking about what I should load the housings with and here are my ideas and questions

Or do I go MCE but I am not sure on the diameter of the reflectors and what sort of battery voltage I would need or driver to suit 2 of them any thoughts?
    I have tried the 20mm Carclo spot optic and the Ledil CMC SS optic with the MC-E and am disappointed with the beam. Lots of light but it has too much flood and not enough throw. I have a few Fraen narrow reflectors on order to try next. They are much larger though at 35mm diameter. Drivers and battery requirements vary depending on how you wire the emitters. My dual MC-E test setup is running on a 18.5V 2400mAh li-ion pack. MC-Es are wired 4s2p. They are run on a hipFlex at 1400mA. ~1.5 hrs runtime on high.

Members who have read this thread: 0