DIY LED housing- Mtbr.com

Thread: DIY LED housing

May 2007

DIY LED housing

Hi,

I want to make my own LED light using either cree or Seoul LEDs. From my reading it seems that its important to make sure that these LED's have a good heat sink if you are going to be driving them hard. Am I better of buying a pre-built housing from Night Lighting or is there an easy, cheap alternative?

Kym

Spanish biker
    Quote Originally Posted by taize
    Hi,

I want to make my own LED light using either cree or Seoul LEDs. From my reading it seems that its important to make sure that these LED's have a good heat sink if you are going to be driving them hard. Am I better of buying a pre-built housing from Night Lighting or is there an easy, cheap alternative?

Kym
    Hi, you can buy a pre-built housing or do yourself with aluminium, have more desings around internet and above all in this forum. How you say, this leds need a good heat sink cooling. How can see we DIY light and take example

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Kym. Welcome.

Yes, keeping the LEDs from overheating is important for long-term lumen maintenance as well as their immediate output. So if they get hot, not only will they have a shorter useful life, your light will not have the spec'd lumen output from the start.

Here is one cheap alternative design that I came up with a couple of years ago, and several others have had good success with it as well. It has plenty of cooling as long as you keep moving. Air moving across the light will keep it pretty cool. There is a photo guide to help if you should decide to build one. I would not recommend this design for applications where the light is used statically (less than 5mph of air moving across it), unless the drive current is reduced down to 500 ma or so. Also, this light might not be as waterproof as others, but with proper silicone sealant, it can be fairly rainproof. I must admit that I don't usually ride in the rain, but I have been sprinkled upon a few times, with no damage to the light. I have been riding with this light design for two seasons without any failures or overheating issues. Note: I do generally night-ride during the winter months when the night air is typically less than 70F.

I am currently making some of these to sell (either just the housing or the complete light). Hopefully, I will finish the housings in a couple of weeks. I have not come up with a price yet, but I'm working on a fair deal. Unfortunately, it still takes me too long to build them even though I'm trying some "mass production" techniques (ten at a time )

The one inch copper tubing end cap design is another inexpensive, and easier to build alternative...

Also, some guys here are building lights using the Khatod triple lenses, which allow you to build a cylindrical light that looks something like a Dinotte 500L. I might try one of these myself for next year.

Good luck,

- Allen

mtbr member
    I took Achesalot's design and modified it slightly for a different type of cooling. I am not sure it does better, but stays cool to the touch when standing still.

Take the 1"square bar and with an 7/8 wood bit drill holes through one side. This almost perfectly fits the L2 optics. Then JB weld a 386/486 heat sink inside the aluminum tubing flat side up. Insert seoul, optics and possibly o ring depending on the optics choice and plexiglass cover. everything press fits into place and cools like a champ. Heat sink sits in the open space between the two aluminum blocks for maximum airflow

Oh and thanks Achesalot for then new sickness
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zen bicycle; 05-11-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0