DIY help needed.- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

DIY help needed.

I am in need of a fairly small helmet mounted light, that is bright enough to run stand-alone. I have only been seriously riding for about one year and want to get in to night riding without spending 300 bucks on a light. I am very mechanically inclined, not so much electrically. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as which leds, driver, batt ect would be best for me? My local riding trail is a 9 mile single track that is not very technical but has some fun parts. Average speed probably around 15mph. I have done alot of research about diy lights on here and it seems the way to go. P.S. the scar light would be perfect (flood version) but a bit out of my budget. Thank you in advance

One Gear
    DIY Website
    I don't think that you can go wrong with a 3 Cree XRE led. Cost is low and they are simple to build. Achesalot has put together everything that you need to have a light put together in less than a day.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    .40AET did a very nice build that would work for you.
    I have two similar lights. Pictures of one is listed in .40AET's thread.
    A 3 up version is documented here.

aka RossC
    Two other designs to consider are "easy DIY" and "DIY Dinotte"

Mar 2009
    Thanks you guys for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to go with the citizen kane style diy, as it looks to be the best to fit my needs. Would I be better to run a double set up or tripe like ortelius made? It seems pretty straight forward. Ill have to do a more research on which style led and optics to use, as well as drivers and battery config.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by tranced
    Thanks you guys for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to go with the citizen kane style diy, as it looks to be the best to fit my needs. Would I be better to run a double set up or tripe like ortelius made? It seems pretty straight forward. Ill have to do a more research on which style led and optics to use, as well as drivers and battery config.
    huffy puffy designed a few more variations on it here

Mar 2009
    Now with a 3 led set up I assume it would be wise to put flood types on the outside and a spot in the middle? And as far as that goes is it just the optic (angle ect) that determines that? Sorry for being a pita I just like to get things right the first time. Thanks salty you have been a big help already. That huffy set up looks good. P.S.can you recommend a led/optic setup to accomplish what I need?

Lets RIDE!
    It's personal preference, but most people seem to like a spot beam on a helmet light and more flood on the bars. If I were doing a triple helmet light I'd probably use one medium and 2 spots. My little 2 x XR-E light uses 2 spots, which puts a nice bright beam down the trail, but if I was using it as my only light I'd want some flood too.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

aka RossC
    Now with a 3 led set up I assume it would be wise to put flood types on the outside and a spot in the middle? And as far as that goes is it just the optic (angle ect) that determines that?
    Yes, that is pretty much the easiest way to compare. Although you need to be sure you are comparing apples with apples. Sometimes they quote the angle as a half angle e.g 18 degrees = 36 full width.

Sometimes they don't quote angles at all and just call it a "spot" or something. Then you have to do some educated guess work based on other peoples beam shots.

That huffy set up looks good. P.S.can you recommend a led/optic setup to accomplish what I need?
    Where are you buying your LED's from? I would suggest that you buy the optics from the same place to save on shipping. I would also suggest that you get 2x spot and 2x flood optics and that way you can play with the beam a little and find what suits you the most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Now with a 3 led set up I assume it would be wise to put flood types on the outside and a spot in the middle?
    It doesn't matter. Moving a led 3 cm's while the beampattern is meters wide is such a small difference you wouldn't notice.

Mar 2009
    LEDsupply has the buckpucks, optics and a few different choices of leds and are based in the US so shipping would be cheap for me. Then I only have to come up with a batt and charger

Members who have read this thread: 0