DIY Battery Made From AA NiMH's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

DIY Battery Made From AA NiMH's

I will be making a DIY lighting setup soon. I have read a number of other threads on this topic and it seems that 4/3A size batteries are a common size in US (ie. using 10 or 11 to make up a 12V or 13.2V rechargeable battery). Here is Australia 4/3A size does not seem to be very common but AA are available cheaply. I can get 2500mAh AA's and make up a 12V battery that would weigh a little over 300g. This will probably be enough capacity for the shorter rides i do but i could also make a second battery to give me 5Ah all up, and the weight will still be very reasonable at about 700g.

I am just wondering whether other people use AA's, or whether there is a reason that this size is avoided?

Regards
    GiantAnt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantAnt
    I will be making a DIY lighting setup soon. I have read a number of other threads on this topic and it seems that 4/3A size batteries are a common size in US (ie. using 10 or 11 to make up a 12V or 13.2V rechargeable battery). Here is Australia 4/3A size does not seem to be very common but AA are available cheaply. I can get 2500mAh AA's and make up a 12V battery that would weigh a little over 300g. This will probably be enough capacity for the shorter rides i do but i could also make a second battery to give me 5Ah all up, and the weight will still be very reasonable at about 700g.

I am just wondering whether other people use AA's, or whether there is a reason that this size is avoided?

Regards
    GiantAnt
    I use Li-Ions 18650's to power my CREE LED lights. I have a 4AA battery holder filled with NiMH AA's that I take along as a backup battery. The holder was only $1.99 and I have a ton of NiMH's for flashlights and my digital camera.

mtbr member
    I'd say, you better be sure you've wired it in a reliable, heavy-duty fashion, or else that many AA's will faulter (get very hot, explode, leak, etc.). I tried it with 8 NiMH AA's, using a battery holder I got over the web and it failed, quickly. I've read of many doing it, so I guess, as long as you're good with a soldering gun, it oughta work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've used AA battery holders without problems for a few years now.

I've been running 2 X 6AA holders to give me 14.4v for the last 2 months on a triple Cree XR-E LED and they work fine. I use then 5 days a week commuting and in the bush for night rides and have never had a problem.

Ran 2 X 6AA giving 7.2v for the last two years with halogens (between 10 and 15 watt bulbs) and never had a problem in 24hr and 12hr race and commuting. Also ran 10 X AA for 12v in a 12w helmet mount. Just put a velcro or elastic band around them to stop the batteries jumping out on really rought terain.

Cheers
    Dave

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Lumbee1, Where did you find a holder for 18650's?

Has anybody tried 14500's with an AA holder? I have 4 14500 in an AA holder but haven't used it yet.

Feb 2007
    I use 2 or 3x12AA, 2500mah for 16v +/- in a DIY holder made from PVC pipe. Like Swoodbrn stated "reliable, heavy-duty fashion" is the way to connect it all together.

Do It Yourself
    4/3A is not a common size in the US. It's a specialty battery available at a few online stores but not readily available at your corner market. I think it's worth the extra effort to get the better batteries. YMMV
    Long Live Long Rides

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've been running AA NiMHs for a couple of months now. 12 wired in series to provide 14.4V to a 20W halogen (so there's a decent current draw). 2 packs, both have been completely fine.

I run them loose in a cheapo off the shelf holder. No soldering and I can just swap the batteries out when they get worn.

Members who have read this thread: 0