DIY battery holder questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

DIY battery holder questions

I recently bought a Solarstorm X3 clone (Nestling) and was worried about the battery that came with it due to people saying the batteries or chargers can explode.

I'm planning on making my own battery housing using a length of conduit or something to place two batteries in and attach it to the frame, something like the picture I've attached.

DIY battery holder questions-battery.jpg

The batteries will be charged in 18650 charger, not through the connector, so won't need to worry about balancing them. Should I put any protection circuitry in the housing? I did making a temperature alarm just in case but does it need any voltage/current circuitry?

I assume the two batteries will be ok pushed in against each other. Any ideas for the top cap though? And how to waterproof the cable connection out of the top?

mtbr member
    There are multiple 18650 flashlights out there that you could use as a tube and cap assembly. Probably some super cheap ones on ebay/amazon with junk lights and switches, but the tube is OK. Could also look for some of the headlights that come with a battery pack designed for 18650 batteries. Take the battery pack off and use it instead of the tube.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Hausbell-Wa.../dp/B0123IA5M4

searching amazon for 18650 holder also led to some rectangular cases that you could easily insert into a waterproof box.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did similar several years ago with not too much luck. Mine used 4 cells and when going over rough terrain, the batteries would momentarily break connection with each other and cause the light to flash. I had a spring on one end of the battery stack to hold tension on them but it was not enough. Putting a spring on both ends may have solved the problem but I switched directions and started using 18650 holders from Digikey to make my packs.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yeah definitely be easier to use a normal battery pack but I didn't like the way the 4 cell holder attached to the frame of my bike. I thought a small tube would fit nicer but might be tricky to do right. I guess with 2 cells there may be less chance of the batteries losing contact.

I might give it a try anyway. I can get a spare bit of conduit tomorrow and see if I can come up with something. If not I guess a battery pack will be easier.

And thanks for the idea of using a torch as the case for it. Hadn't thought of that. Might look into that as an option too.

And I'm surprised there isn't a battery pack with two 18650s inline. They're all side by side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    While I'm posting here what do you think of the battery that came with it? I opened it up and the case seems pretty good. It was glued shut and had rubber seals under both the end caps.

Not sure about the batteries though. Unbranded INR 18650E 2000mAh. The listing said 6800mAh. I obviously wasn't expecting that but don't know if I'd get 4000mAh with two of those in parallel.

And what's that little board stuck in there do? Think it would be worth putting back together to use or safer to use one with better batteries?

DIY battery holder questions-batt2.jpg

DIY battery holder questions-batt1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    So if I do make a case for the batteries and the batteries will be charged separately outside the case, do i need any circuitry in the case or will it be ok to connect them straight to the light?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In pre-assembled packs, the pack has a common over and under discharge circuit board and that is most likely the board in your picture. If you want to make a holder and use removable batteries that are charged separately it is best to use batteries that have the protection circuit built-in.

If you are planning to run a X3 clone on just a two cell battery, you really should look at getting some top of the line cells like Panasonic 3400s. Using those low capacity OEM cells will give a very short runtime on high settings.

Several years ago I bought a 4 cell, 7.4V nominal, pack from FMA battery that was configured 2 side by side by 2 long for a roadie friend I built a light for. He didn't like the more common 4 side by side layout. Don't know if they offer that configuration any more.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html