Custom made SSC P7 LED Bike lights- Mtbr.com
    Carbon8er

Custom made SSC P7 LED Bike lights

I have been prototyping some new super light weight and small 900 lumen P7 lights. I have tested several of the P7 lights and they are blowing away my HID's and so the HID's are going on Ebay for sale.

I am thinking of having a bunch of the parts made and then offer the parts as a do it yourself type thing with web site instructions on how to do it.

I don't have time to assemble lights and I would like to keep the prices as low as possible on the parts so people can get into high performance lights for way less than the silly prices being asked by some of the commercial light companies.

Anywho, I haven't decided if I am going to have the parts made yet. I would appreciate feedback on the design and if there is enough interest, I will have a machine shop run off 100 or so and see how it goes.
    I already have a web store for my main business, so the parts sales aspect is already in place.

This link takes you to my bike lights page, the new light link is at the top of this page.
    https://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm

I am still working on a cheap Li-On charger design that will charge battery packs, not individual batteries.

Thanks for any feedback.

Here's a shot of a scratched up prototype, just to give you an image.
    Last edited by El34; 04-18-2009 at 07:56 AM.

GeoMan
    I think this belongs in the DIY forum...
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Carbon8er
    Ooop, sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El34
    I have been prototyping some new super light weight and small 900 lumen P7 lights. I have tested several of the P7 lights and they are blowing away my HID's and so the HID's are going on Ebay for sale.

I am thinking of having a bunch of the parts made and then offer the parts as a do it yourself type thing with web site instructions on how to do it.

I don't have time to assemble lights and I would like to keep the prices as low as possible on the parts so people can get into high performance lights for way less than the silly prices being asked by some of the commercial light companies.

Anywho, I haven't decided if I am going to have the parts made yet. I would appreciate feedback on the design and if there is enough interest, I will have a machine shop run off 100 or so and see how it goes.
    I already have a web store for my main business, so the parts sales aspect is already in place.

This link takes you to my bike lights page, the new light link is at the top of this page.
    http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm
    I think this is a very cool idea. I would definitely be interested in one of those kits as long as the driver is pre-assembled ( sandwiched like you show ) so all you have to do is connect the leads ( with clear instructions ). I would like the plastic holder black though. Then I could spray the outside with Gun-kote and then I'd have a sweet looking 2.5ma P-7 light. Even better if you can come up with some additional reflectors to chose from. The ones on my MTE 2-mode are great but would like to find one somewhere that is more of a spot for longer throw. I have all the Marwi mounts and batteries I need. One of these in kit form would be nice. Now all we have to do is get one of the moderators to move the thread so it draws more attention.

Carbon8er
    Yes, sorry about posting in this board, can the mod please move it?
    Thanks.

My idea was to have the aluminum casings made at a machine shop I deal with and sells those. I made several proto's on my small lathe here, but it needs to be done on a CNC lathe to get exact sizes on every piece. It's a bunch of work to make that outer casing by hand on a lathe.

And I would also sell the custom Epoxy board pieces. I cut those on my CNC machine and they are not much of a hassle to lay down a big sheet of material and cut a bunch of each of the 3 small boards.

The other parts are all DX parts that I have on hand and could sell those also, but I would have to charge more than DX, since I would have to buy them from DX and then mark them up.

The other parts available from DX are:
    The black switch cap, the clicky switch, two of the 1400ma boards and the LED.

So, people could have a choice and round up their own parts or if they are in a hurrry, get them from me. DX is painfully slow as we all know on shipping things, but the shipping is always free which is nice. The other probelm is that all the parts except the LED are only availabe in quantities of 5 and 10's. Not many people need 10 of the black rubber caps of 10 of the 1400ma boards.

The web site pics were just thrown up to give a general idea of what all the pieces look like. I would have to do a very detailed set of pics and instructions for prople to assemble the lights.

After I nail down the exact design, I am going to stop by the machine shop and get an estimate on what the aluminum bodies will cost.

Thanks for the feedback.

Carbon8er
    I pm'd the admin hoping he will move this to the diy board.

I have been testing a newly completed light today.

Had a couple of design changes and things are looking good. No thanks to my Chinese supplier. You can never tell what you will receive, but the prices are cheap and so you have to put up with it.

I have black high temp plastic material on the way to make black mounts. The white mount was just material I had on hand here and so I used that as a test.

The heat test shows that this light runs cooler than any of my other LED lights. I have spent a bunch of time getting all of the aluminum parts thin and in contact with each other so that the heat is sinked away and out to the outer skin. The reflector is even parts of the outer skin and is a heat sink. The entire light is a heat sink from tip to tail.

You can hold this light in your hand without any discomfort at all.
    Not so with some of my other LED lights that were converted from thick flashlight bodies.

I also have some black nylon 1/4 x 20 threaded rod and black nylon nuts on the way. The nylon is going to be replacing that big 1/4" steel bolt on the Marwi mounts.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Which reflector are you using? Is it similar to this from DX?

Carbon8er
    yeah, that's it 14599

see my review at DX on that same page.
    They have been shipping the wrong reflectors for a while.

I have a claim in right now because they shipped me a big batch of the wrong reflectors.
    They are still waiting to receive the correct ones from their supplier.

So don't order them unless you can use a 37mm reflector without a front flange

Members who have read this thread: 0