Cree - So many Options? Help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Cree - So many Options? Help!

Hello,

I was about to resurect a set of Vistalights, but upon researching this forum I now want to build my own set of lights. I'm a solidworks designer with access to a machine shop, so I figured I may as well give it a go. Anyhow, I have looked over so many designs on this forum that I am unsure exactly which Cree light set to start with and design around. There are so many son Led types, drivers and lenses and I am a bit overwhelmed as which to choose. I'd like something handlebar mounted in the 750 to 1K lumen if possible. I plan to use some of my Li-Po packs I use in my Rc Airplanes. I have many packs in 3S,4s and 5S configurations and am sure I can use one of them. Any help as to a starting point and what to research would be greatly appreciated. I am sure once I am a bit more informed I will be able to ask more specific questions.

Best regards,

Marc

aka RossC
    If I was to sumarise the whole Cree lineup I would say:

MCE = lots of lumens but a "floody" beam due to the large apparent die size. They seem to give a wall of light but not very well focused. They put out roughly 450 lumens @350mA (rated to 700mA). They are pretty much 4x XRE emmitters in one package.

XRE = These are what most people have used up until the last few months. The come in lots of different classifications (Bins) such as Q5 & R2. They are relatively cheap and easy to work with. They also put out quite a bit of light.... 107 lumens @350mA for a q5 (rated to 1A).

XPE = Miniature little LED's that are becoming much more popular as championed by troutie. They are pretty much the same die as teh XRE but packaged more tightly. Same output ratings as the XRE although they are only rated to 700mA so the maximum value is probably smaller.

The ability to tune the beam with the 10mm optics makes the XPE's very versatile.

If I was to suggest a path to take, I would be looking at multiple XPE's using 10mm polymer optics or mounted as a triple from cutter.

This link might also help you compare them a little.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    +1

Small light housing, and tunability of beam ='s XP-E.

The MC-E will give you your target lumens easily. There just is little throw with most of the MC-E optics.

The XP-E will give you throw or flood with a smaller footprint. Your target lumens would require at least 4 emitters. I find my 3 up XP-Es put out a more usable light than any of my single MC-E lights.

With your access to the machine shop I would recommend you just go crazy and knock us all over with some sick new designs.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the helpfull replies. I'll do a bit more research tonight now that I know what to consider. I am sure I will have many more questions once I do more research amd its nice to see I can get the help when I ask.

Best regards,

Marc

Members who have read this thread: 0