Cree MTG-2 Build (Helmet light)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Cree MTG-2 Build (Helmet light)

I'll make this build log pretty quick as the light is already built and working like a charm (more like a winter hand warmer:P)

I forgot to take any pictures before I sent it off to be anodized got a bit too inpatient when it finished machining lol.

Untitled by Kiteninja (Morgan Lee), on Flickr

2off aspherical optics, 2off Cree MTG-2 LEDs driven at 3amp 6v so I think for these its been driven at the highest output according to the data sheet I had for them if I can drive them harder please let me know., wireing the little light up was a little tricky, thankfully my Friend did the wireing & soldering as there is not a lot of room inside to fit everything in.

Even with the thinnest fin density that I could achieve using a 1.6mm slitting saw, the light still gets really hot although bit of air flow and all that heat just disappears.

Powered by a 15v MTB batteries battery but I'm currently building a LIPO pack using RC batteries as they are pretty cheap and easy to get hold of.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Nice work! looks a lot like Troutie's SpiderEyes, but without the lower pod for the flood LEDs.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by kiteninja View Post
    2off aspherical optics, 2off Cree MTG-2 LEDs driven at 3amp 6v so I think for these its been driven at the highest output according to the data sheet I had for them if I can drive them harder please let me know.
    Well 3A is the "official" maximum, but plenty of people are successfully driving them at much higher currents. For the bar light I built, I am driving it at 5A and it is fine as long as I keep moving. Now looking at the size of your light and considering there are two MT-G2s in there, I would not recommend going that high as you likely don't have enough mass to handle the extra heat.

mtbr member
    that looks really awesome, well done! What are you driving the LEDs with? What's the beam like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Nice work! looks a lot like Troutie's SpiderEyes, but without the lower pod for the flood LEDs.
    wanted to have a stab at something a little trickier then your normal box light and trouties spider eyes was the perfect candidate as it looks like a complete pain in the butt to machine (unless you use a 5axis and the part just rolls off the other end)

Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Well 3A is the "official" maximum, but plenty of people are successfully driving them at much higher currents. For the bar light I built, I am driving it at 5A and it is fine as long as I keep moving. Now looking at the size of your light and considering there are two MT-G2s in there, I would not recommend going that high as you likely don't have enough mass to handle the extra heat.
    3A is also the max my driver will kick out so would have to squeeze a b6flex in there somehow to ramp it up any more, the housing when moving gets rid of the heat from both of them straight away its got a really good fin density.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    that looks really awesome, well done! What are you driving the LEDs with? What's the beam like?
    Currently with a b3flex there isn't much room inside to fit a bigger driver as they do jump in size by quite a bit, I will try and get a beam shot at the weekend, its sort of soft Octagonal spot but its rather larger so its not as hot as you would expect from the mt-g2s, its definitely more usable then I expected and it does have quite a spill around the outside.