commuters: tail lights with "features"- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9

    commuters: tail lights with "features"

    I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

    Nashbar Brake Light



    Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator



    Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

    Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    414

    Had one of those...

    when I was about 7-8 years old... don't think it would matter much now. The main thing is to have a very bright light that has a pulse/flash --> that will get people's attention! The VistaLite Total Eclipse is a good option... (hopefully) keeps me from getting hit by semi's when riding in the dark to/from my favorite trailhead. Lots of reflective clothing and a strong HID headlight help you standout too.

  3. #3
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,529

    Yes,,

    Quote Originally Posted by hmann_48823
    I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

    Nashbar Brake Light



    Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator



    Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

    Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.
    In some instances ive noticed that they are drawn to it and as a result steer towards it. Kinda like when you stare at something on the trail and end up inadvertenly steering towards it.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    414

    agree

    I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear - it's why I ride as far to the right as possible when on the road. The other strange phenomena I have encountered all season is that about 25% of the cars the approach me from the opposite direction turn their brights ON when they see me... do these idiots actually think they're helping? When it happens, I flash 'em with my high beam which normally gets my point across.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear...

    This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

    Chris

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    414

    agree

    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

    Chris
    It was actually on this forum where somebody enlightened me on the flasher concept... I only use that mode now. Nice side benefit is your batteries last about 8 times longer.

Similar Threads

  1. All tied up with new lights
    By SpinWheelz in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 02:48 PM
  2. my lights are going to be cheap
    By fleagalbaum in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 07:21 AM
  3. Homemade Battery Packs for lights
    By Brooks04 in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 04:37 PM
  4. 26" Full susp Ti or 29er Ti soft tail?
    By steviscott in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 06:46 AM
  5. Hard tail or full suspension for 24 solo hour races??
    By ploglet in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 04:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.