commuters: tail lights with "features"- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

commuters: tail lights with "features"

I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

Nashbar Brake Light

Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator

Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.

Feb 2004

Had one of those...

when I was about 7-8 years old... don't think it would matter much now. The main thing is to have a very bright light that has a pulse/flash --> that will get people's attention! The VistaLite Total Eclipse is a good option... (hopefully) keeps me from getting hit by semi's when riding in the dark to/from my favorite trailhead. Lots of reflective clothing and a strong HID headlight help you standout too.

jrm
    mtbr member

Yes,,

Quote Originally Posted by hmann_48823
    I'm browsing the other day and run across these:

Nashbar Brake Light

Cyclepro Flashpoint Indicator

Setting aside for the moment brand name and build quality, does anyone out there really think that motorists are paying enough attention to us that the semiotics of a change in light intensity is something they'd pick up on and react to (or trust enough to react to, given that it is coming from a bike)? Let alone the turn signal notion, which I can't recall seeing on a tail light since I was a kid and you could pick up something cheap at KMart which would do this.

Same goes for the trail -- I guess I'm expecting my headlight to give me more info about how fast I'm approaching the bike in front of me than this brake light thingy could do.
    In some instances ive noticed that they are drawn to it and as a result steer towards it. Kinda like when you stare at something on the trail and end up inadvertenly steering towards it.

Feb 2004

agree

I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear - it's why I ride as far to the right as possible when on the road. The other strange phenomena I have encountered all season is that about 25% of the cars the approach me from the opposite direction turn their brights ON when they see me... do these idiots actually think they're helping? When it happens, I flash 'em with my high beam which normally gets my point across.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    I sometimes wonder if my tail light has some sort of hypnotizing effect on cars approaching from the rear...

This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

Chris

Feb 2004

agree

Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    This is why I always use the flashing mode on my rear light. The steady mode makes it look too much like a car light from far away. A blinking light lets the driver know that something other than an automobile is ahead.

Chris
    It was actually on this forum where somebody enlightened me on the flasher concept... I only use that mode now. Nice side benefit is your batteries last about 8 times longer.