Which color/bin MC-E to get?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Which color/bin MC-E to get?

Hi there - I'm working on a triple MC-E headlight (will be using Deesta's housing). I'm trying to figure out which specific MC-E I want. So as for the bins - the higher the bin the higher the flux, but it also seems certain colors only come in certain bins. So if I want the highest bin (M) I'd have to get a cool white LED. My understanding is that most people find neutral or warm white more effective. Is that true? I'm going to be using this light mostly for riding on roads and in cities.

Similarly - does anybody know if the V vs I curve for say an M bin would be the same as a K bin? In other words - are M bins actually more efficient than K bins, or do they just have a higher forward voltage?

Another thing - I was looking at Brum's group buy page and I noticed that he only sells M bin MC-Es with a WH tint. What is a WH tint? Also, he has both series and parallel wired MC-Es. Does that mean the PCB itself is actually built differently, or does that just mean somebody added wires on top to wire it in one way or the other?

Lastly - where do you suggest I buy my LEDs? I'm in the USA.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    WH tint is great for off road as it makes things look more realistic, on the other hand the cooler tint like WC will apear brighter so could help you get noticed more on the road.

I always think WC to be seen and WH to see.

VF should be the same be it K or M bin though VF will vary from batch to batch.

This Cree colour chart should help, it's for the XR-E but the colours should be almost the same.

I've bought from Brum with no problems, the other option is Cutter electronics but they are in OZ so expect a 3 week wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uoficowboy
    I'm working on a triple MC-E headlight... I'm going to be using this light mostly for riding on roads and in cities....
    Lastly - where do you suggest I buy my LEDs? I'm in the USA.
    Thanks!
    IMHO, a triple MC-E is way overkill for a road light. I would build it with a dimmable driver to minimize blinding oncoming traffic. The MC-E with the Ledil CMC RS or SS optics is a pretty "floody" light.

ledsupply.com is in the US and I have had good results buying from them.

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker
    IMHO, a triple MC-E is way overkill for a road light. I would build it with a dimmable driver to minimize blinding oncoming traffic. The MC-E with the Ledil CMC RS or SS optics is a pretty "floody" light.

ledsupply.com is in the US and I have had good results buying from them.
    Heh yes they will be fully dimmable. Floody is probably good for a road headlight no?

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    WH tint is great for off road as it makes things look more realistic, on the other hand the cooler tint like WC will apear brighter so could help you get noticed more on the road.

I always think WC to be seen and WH to see.

VF should be the same be it K or M bin though VF will vary from batch to batch.

This Cree colour chart should help, it's for the XR-E but the colours should be almost the same.

I've bought from Brum with no problems, the other option is Cutter electronics but they are in OZ so expect a 3 week wait.
    Ah - that chart really clears things up. Thanks a lot for the information! So the WH is a pretty warm white I think - that's what you think will illuminate things the best?

Lets RIDE!
    The warmer color will make things look closer to their true color. The cool whites tend to make everything look a little grayer to me, but they do put out more lumens per watt. Maybe a combo of one WC and two WHs?

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I rode the Set2Rise Saturday night with a warmer natural white for the bar light and a cool white for the helmet light which I thought worked well. Had a loose contact problem with the bar light at the end so ended up on the last two laps with just the helmet and a flickering bar light which realy brought home how the bar light lets you see the bumps and holes that you miss with just the helmet light, but you of course need the helmet for tight turns.

Ifor

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Why not put in one 'warm' 5A with two WH or WH/WC for a broader range of tints to pick out more colours?

mtbr member
    I like the WG tint's

still warm but usually a little higher lumen/visibility.

I think there is a huge difference between the K and M bin's and yes the M's are more efficient. Recently I have noticed that the forward voltage has been dropping on the M bin's( just like all other bins after a time).

Members who have read this thread: 0