Cheap lights?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cheap lights?

Feb 2004

Cheap lights?

What are some quality dual beam lights for $150 or less?
    Are there any in that price range?

J-Mizzle

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

For about $85 more, you can get HID

I think you can get LUME's now for around $235. I don't have HID, and don't feel like I need them, but with prices dropping, it might be a good investment. My buddy has these and loves them. Bright, reliable, simple...

FWIW, I've gone the cheap light route, and it seems I was never satisfied. Luckily, a friend helped me convert a cheap lightset to a pretty nice 13.2v, 20w set for little money (his experience was invaluable!), but assuming that was not available to me again, I would not go that route again.

Also, a lot of folks like Jet's for good value.

Note: I did not respond to your specific need for dual beam, so I guess I should ask why Dual? I think it is not needed, and you'd be better off with a single helmet, and eventually a single bar mount, rather dual bar. For the single bar, as a second light you can go cheaper, I like the NR TRII, which can be got for around $80 when on sale. Simple, reliable, and a good supliment to helmet lite. Real life saver if you have helmet problems. (If you have problems with your dual, or burn up the battery in the woods, you are S.O.L.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cygo

Quote Originally Posted by J-mizzle

J-Mizzle
    NiMH for $80, and the 3 I know who have them are all happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

consider cygolite

i've had good success with the fairly inexpensive cygolite explorer and rover lights. they're inexpensive and work great, helmet mounts are inexpensive.

read the reviews on mtbr

john

J-Mizzle

Do It Yourself

J-Mizzle
    Why the dual? From my experience, a good high powered helmet mount (e.g. 13.2V 20W) should be a primary light with a cheap handlebar mount as backup. You can find dual lights in that price range but quality isn't going to be there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Must be an NC thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Why the dual? From my experience, a good high powered helmet mount (e.g. 13.2V 20W) should be a primary light with a cheap handlebar mount as backup. You can find dual lights in that price range but quality isn't going to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmateo
    Note: I did not respond to your specific need for dual beam, so I guess I should ask why Dual? I think it is not needed, and you'd be better off with a single helmet, and eventually a single bar mount, rather dual bar.
    Two seperate lights is the way to go IMO, unless there is a reason...

ballbuster

Second that,

Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    Two seperate lights is the way to go IMO, unless there is a reason...
    A helmet light and bar light combo is the way to go.

I got a 12/20W G-Whiz Ultra Death Ray dual beam on the bars with a 10W NR Headtrip, and the combo works great for everything but high speed downhill, which I should not do at night anyway.

I got the Death Ray for $30 used cause the boat anchor SLA battery was shot. I just built up a NiMH battery for another $30. Works great.

In addition to that, I have one of those 3 LED camping lights that you strap on your head. I strap this under my Headtrip so I can leave it off for slow climbs. It makes a nice glow around your bars so you can see your comptuers and gear indicators.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 05-05-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Feb 2004

Thanks fellas

I can understand the reasoning behind having one on helmet as primary, and a cheaper as backup.

Will go that route

J-Mizzle

mtbr member
    For your single beam needs I recommend the Niterider Trailrat. It's an excellent, affordable 10 watt spot-beam system. The battery lasts around 2 hours and isn't too heavy. You can either strap it to your frame, and still use both water bottles, or slip it in your pocket if you mount it on your helmet. You could almost get two for not much more than $150, but to mount it on your helmet you need to buy a few accessories and if you buy a flood bulb the price could really start to climb. But it is at least an excellent handlebar mounted light anyway. And it is compatible with the Niterider taillight if you ever hit the road. I think the Trailrat and Roadrat are the best bargains that Niterider has to offer. Think about HID for the future though, because it is just head and shoulders above halogen lights.

Nervous Descender
    Marwi NightPro Elite 12w helmet light teamed with a Cygolight Night Explorer 10/15/25w bar gives you excellent lighting, IMO. $180 for both.
    Check out some of our local hills: CDRC (Capital District Road Climbs)