Cheap housing, how to fill it?- Mtbr.com
    A waste of time it is is

Cheap housing, how to fill it?

So I'm wandering around K-Mart the other day looking for birthday presents for a party my daughter is going to. Being a dutiful dad I'm focused solely on the task at hand, until I see these, (sorry see pic below. How do I put the pictures in with the text rather than after it?)

Now let's remember that less than $5 Australian, so about less than 3 GBP & euro, $4 US. Naturally my mind immediately switched into overdrive " Oh that blue will go nicely with all the blue bling on the steed" So I grabbed two of them.

I had hoped the two ends would unscrew and I could remove the middle section and screw the two ends together, alas they are different thread sizes. It does come apart nicely

An idea of sizes here, internally the head is just over 25mm and the body is 23mm.

I have 12v NiMH and 14.8v Li-Ion batteries. My thoughts are

Option 1 - Greedy - Shaving less than 1/2 a mm off one of these http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut882 I believe they will have a quad MCBCP to suit shortly and powering it with a salvaged BFlex. XP-G LEds of course

Option 2 - Good (but not too greedy) Actually I don't have an option 2 as the triple I thought of is actually 35mm, too big

Option 3 - Not fantastic - a single MC-E with a b-Flex

I'm open to suggestions as I am sure the brains trust here will have better ideas. I have a mate that can mill al so am hoping to get him to make a slug, threaded on the outside to match the internal thread of the head. Coincidently he also saw these torches and bought some

Troutie, you have my word any suggestions you make won't be put into mass production and sold in SA.

Oh and weight of the body a spritely 42gms, this includes the existing switch, led's and driver as well as that incredibly heavy lanyard

Let the ideas begin
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Did you break into my house and take those photos?

I was literally looking at the same thing last night and wondering what I could do to jam some power LEDs in there. My main concern is not enough thermal mass to attach to and for the lack of cooling fins. These torches are pretty light weight.

The slug you talk about, will that solve the heat issues?

Neil

A waste of time it is is
    Neil, I'm hoping it will.

we have an effective head depth of 20mm, that quad optic is 11.5 mm deep and I think that allows for the mcpcb depth as well. This leaves 8.5mm. If the slug is threaded on the outside so that is screws into the head and we apply thermal paste first then this should give a decent amount of contact area with the main body. You could make the slug so that it protrudes snuggly into the body as well which would also increase contact area, although this may then be starting to make it too heavy. Thermal paste on all threads will mean the whole external body will be actively cooling.

There is also a fair amount of area that is "cross-hatched" at either end of the body which also helps.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to keep a quad xp-g at 1A cool when I'm standing around but am prepared to take a gamble on it keeping it at a safe temp when moving

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's one of these, isn't it?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1255

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm sure there were some builds around these little torches, they used finned heatsinks from RC car motors to dump heat. Blast from the past!

A waste of time it is is
    Same torch Ali G, now just to find the threads.

Pleased to see I got it cheaper than DX as well, when I saw the link I thought of damn, how much more did I pay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Here it is: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=368896&page=2
    Starting around post 65.
    When you think that life is though, keep a positive attitude : remember that it is short ;-)

mtbr member
    just bought 2 of them for the car. $5.00 each , cant go wrong.

i might buy 2x more and sit back and watch your XPG tri lens build.

A waste of time it is is
    OK, I'm an idiot. Ordered a couple of mixed boards from Cutters. Was going to salvage some bflex drivers from earlier lights but of course they don't fit. Have just killed one trying to make it fit.
    any suggestions for drivers that will fit into a 21mm ID body, take 12 v or 14.8v powering 3 or 4 XP-G @ 1000mA. Preferably dimmable.

am looking at the recom from cutter but would like feed back from someone that has actually used one.

cheers

mtbr member
    will one of these fit in
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-LED-Driv...item3a57e152d0

I have used a few and they seem pretty good and cheap .
    I think he will ship overseas

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, I'm an idiot. Ordered a couple of mixed boards from Cutters. Was going to salvage some bflex drivers from earlier lights but of course they don't fit. Have just killed one trying to make it fit.
    any suggestions for drivers that will fit into a 21mm ID body, take 12 v or 14.8v powering 3 or 4 XP-G @ 1000mA. Preferably dimmable.

am looking at the recom from cutter but would like feed back from someone that has actually used one.

cheers
    Are you sure about ID? I have similar lights and IIRC there's something like 23mm ID. Maxflex has 22.8mm dia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Pleased to see I got it cheaper than DX as well, when I saw the link I thought of damn, how much more did I pay.
    DX price is for two lights....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Inside dia is "a little over 25mm"? 25.4mm is 1 inch. I wonder if 1 inch Alum bar would fit tight with no turning.

I'm a complete newb to this but couldn't you mount Quazzle's 3xXPG to a 1 inch dia slug say with the optic all the way up to the front lens?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=589647
    Just run the two wires through a hole drilled in the slug and out to your battery? Seems like it would be easy even for a hack like me… You could make the slug 2/3 the length of the housing if you wanted to absorb/transfer heat to the outer housing. To reduce weight you could drill the center of the alum slug most of the way through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rideandshoot
    I'm a complete newb to this but couldn't you mount Quazzle's 3xXPG to a 1 inch dia slug say with the optic all the way up to the front lens?
    Quazzle's module would fit there perfectly. The only problem is: you can't buy it yet. They are yet to be made. Hopefully in the near future

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    will one of these fit in
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-LED-Driv...item3a57e152d0

I have used a few and they seem pretty good and cheap .
    I think he will ship overseas
    Thanks Chris, yes that will fit. I knew I had seen a post of yours with that driver previously and went looking for it last night but do you think I could find which of your 3000 threads you've started here it was buried in?

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Does it need heat sinking at all?

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Itess
    Are you sure about ID? I have similar lights and IIRC there's something like 23mm ID. Maxflex has 22.8mm dia.

Itess, of course I'm not sure, read the first four words of post # 9

You are correct, ID is about 23mm, not 21mm, I even said that in my very first post. In my defence it was around midnight when I made that mistake, after about 4hrs of "playing" with this light build.

You are correct, a maxflex does fit and that's why had pressumed a bflex would as well. My problem is I don't want to fork out for new batteries as I have several 12v nimh and a couple of decent 14.8v li-ions so a maxflex is no good for the combo's I want. If I was building totally from scratch then that would be a perfect set up with a 7.4v battery. Ah well.

A waste of time it is is
    Rideandshoot, apart from the very valid point Itess has already made about quazzles light, that 25mm is only the very head. I already have triple and quad boards ready to put in with a range of optics to use as well, so obviously don't want to buy another driver / led/ optic combo, when and if it becomes available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rideandshoot, apart from the very valid point Itess has already made about quazzles light, that 25mm is only the very head. I already have triple and quad boards ready to put in with a range of optics to use as well, so obviously don't want to buy another driver / led/ optic combo, when and if it becomes available.
    Dang... To be honest a big reason I'm interested in Quazzles set up is that it would be easy for a newb like me. I've been lurking around on here for a while so I'm sure there are some great options if you have the know how to build it from parts. So is the ID stepped? I can get access to a lathe (if I ask nicely) so I could turn the slug to match…

A waste of time it is is
    The slug isn't the problem for me, the driver has been but I'll be going with what Troutie suggested or the recom, depending on which is easier to dim. The head screws onto torch body, ie the body has the thread on the outside face, the head has the thread on the inside face, ID of head, about 25mm, ID of body, about 23mm, ID of tail cap, smaller again

mtbr member
    Thanks Chris, yes that will fit. I knew I had seen a post of yours with that driver previously and went looking for it last night but do you think I could find which of your 3000 threads you've started here it was buried in?

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Does it need heat sinking at all?

Your welcome Stuart it is one sided and a bit od heatsinking is advisable on the 960 amp one according to his instructions .

for dimming he has put the resistor on the board you just need to switch it in to the circuit for it to dim .

I have used a ON - OFF - ON switch in the past off is full power one on is the resistor switched in for dim the other on is resister bypassed for the off setting .as when the driver sees a full short it goes into standby .

If you struggle to get one from him I can pop one in the post but it does need a resistor as they are pre his updated ones .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The walls of the torch body are very thin. I would ride very fast running 3*XPG on 1A

A waste of time it is is
    Thanks Chris, I will pass at the moment and give the Recom a try first, it looks a little more robust.

Itess, "ride very fast", well I'm stuffed then. I have some decent slugs made for inside the torch head, threaded for maximum contact and then stepped down to slide into the body and contact there. I also have these just in case it does get hot and yes, that is the dead driver in the background
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap housing, how to fill it?-dsc00903.jpg  

A waste of time it is is
    I must be part female as I've changed my mind again.

After several emails with the ebay seller Troutie linked I have decided to take a punt on those boards. Very helpful seller, clear prompt replies and service. The simplicity of a clicky switch to control power to the board and another clicky switch between A and 0V to dim the light to 50%, couple with my inability to understand the recom circuits won out. Will hopefully have the boards here in time to build up these lights before The Mont next weekend, nothing like a 24hr race to test a new light build.

Stay tuned for more tails of frustration or beam shots from the pine forests around Canberra.

A waste of time it is is
    More tales of frustration.

a mistake in packaging meant that when my drivers arrived from the UK in time for me to build before last weekends Mont 24hr they had morphed into three bags of plastic model train gears. So, no pics from the lovely pine forests of Sparrow Hill.

I was expecting the replacements by now but they still haven't arrived. Hopefully I'll get them today so I can finish this PITA light and get some trail shots over the easter long weekend.

Stay tuned, if you have the patience

A waste of time it is is
    Boards finally arrived today. Will assemble next week so hopefully will have beam shots soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    25mm OD aluminium pipe/tube fits inside the torch body. A reasonably snug fit.

I used them for a taillight.... using a red led DX drop-in glued into the 25mm tube which is glued to the torch body.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hahaha...Harbor Freight had those flashlights for free the last couple months. I got a black, red, and 2 blue ones.

I am actually considering doing a single R5 with a reflector instead of optics...I love the R5 with a reflector!

Members who have read this thread: 0