charging L&M solo in australia?- Mtbr.com
    Sneaker man

charging L&M solo in australia?

OK so I'm in australia and I just picked up a new light (light and motion solo logic) and jsut went to plug it into charger a few minutes ago... and suddenly realised, that although it comes with an adaptor to fit AU plugs, it doesn't come with an adaptor for volltage (240>120V... now I am going on the assumption that if i don't go buy a transformer it will explode (or just become stuffed very fast)... but just thought i'd ask if anyonbe one else out there has one of these and how they charge them? just from the socket or do they require an adaptor?

I ride a Swarf
    http://www.bikelights.com/Support/pd...ght_manual.pdf page 18

It should work. the manual for 2005 says the same too.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok,

It obviously came in parts right? a Light, a battery and a charger?

If so, describe the charger to me, did you get an american product off ebay or something.

The charger may have some things written on it somewhere, post all that info on here. Generally most of these things are modern transformers and have a wide ranging input voltage. You just need to have a look at it and see

Thanks

Sneaker man
    I just got it from local bike shop a few hours ago, they got it from the local distibuter... charger says:
    Light & motion, trickle charger for use with 7.2V batteries (loverly pic of how the pins work) calss 2 transfgormer,
    input: 120V~60Hz
    output: 9V 350mA
    for indoor use only
    PN 826-0233-A

so well see

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If I were you I wouldn't use it. It seems like it is the wrong voltage for Australia. If you plug it in it will destroy your battery. Ring the people you got it from tomorrow.

Post a pic if you can.

Is it the old type, heavy square transformer or is it the new light weight type similar to your phone charger?

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Building on my reply from the Aussie forum, now knowing those specifications (NiMH Trickle Charger) I don’t think plugging it in would be a wise idea…

I would be emailing Light and Motion to see what they say, and possibly which charger they recommend, and to see if they would do you a good deal.

Failing that, then a quality smart charger purchased from within Australia would be a good idea.

Dave.

Do you have any documentation with the light / charger, and are there any markings on the charger? The exact model of the Solo Logic may help too.

The Light & Motion Multi-Chem Charger is a universal input system that will work on any wall voltage from 90-260 volts with NiMH or Li-ion batteries.
    I’m not totally sure on the details, but it seems that some of the chargers that Light and Motion make are self switching between wall voltages while others are not. Those that are self switching like the Multi-Chem Charger will be fine with any voltage. It sounds like the trickle chargers may only operate at the specified wall voltage, and I assume that this would be printed on the charger itself?

From what I understand, if you have the Lithium Ion pack and / or the Multi-Chem charger you will be fine, if not you will have to look into things in a little more detail.

I hope that helps.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bingo Low_Rider, thats exactly what I was thinking. Most switch mode's work all over the world and the plugs are just changed. Not so with the old induction type wire wound transformers.

The charger sounds like a low rent, wire wound transformer, trickle mode charger that you can leave on all the time. I dont know what type of batteries the light system uses but I'm guessing NiMH or NiCD.

He could always get a power supply that outputs 9V and 350mA from Jaycar or somewhere, cut the lead and resolder the new Australian transformer on.

Its a pretty crap charging method though...

Sneaker man
    thanks all for the replies...

according to the australian distibuter, its all fine and charge away... so its charging now, and well see what happens...

hopefully it works or i';ll be riding around kellevie with a candle...

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Ahh okay, that's interesting! I'd definitely keep an eye on it during the first charge though.

It may just be the case that it is in fact a switching charger and the wall voltage range isn't printed so that it doesn't confuse US customers?

Candle power, now that's an idea....

Members who have read this thread: 0