charging on the go!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

charging on the go!

hey,
    has anyone every seen or made a 18650 charger that runs of a 12v car socket?
    im going away at the end of the month to the alps and eastern europe, and taking the bikes in our van, we wont be staying at campsites very often, just sleeping in the back of the van, so i need to work out how to charge my batterys after theyve gone flat
    any ideas anyone?
    thanks

Light freak

mtbr member
    Flea bay has a few on 'buy it now' for about 10

Bandolero

In-n-Out

Quote Originally Posted by elpresidente
    hey,
    has anyone every seen or made a 18650 charger that runs of a 12v car socket?
    any ideas anyone?
    Get a DC/AC Power Inverter. I've used one to run/recharge a laptop so it should work fine for a few 18650. You can probably pick one up at any automotive store.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    Get a DC/AC Power Inverter. I've used one to run/recharge a laptop so it should work fine for a few 18650. You can probably pick one up at any automotive store.
    That would win on versatility, but it seems inefficient to go from dc > ac > dc when batteries are at a premium as in a camping situation. I would look for a hobby charger that can take a DC input, they seem pretty common and should charge it correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use a "doctored" mobile phone as my 18650 charger. It gives me the versatility of a mains or 12 volt charger, with a 750ma output and built in fuel gauge. It's not a bad option if you don't want to spend much and have an old one lying around.

mtbr member
    I'm not certain about this since I do not have a phone charger for my car, but if the chargers just output X mA at Y volts, it may not be ideal for L-ion charging since there would be no intelligence or cut-off built into the charger. I may be way off base, but it is something to consider if you use one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Call the Fire Brigade!
    I should have been clearer. I've removed the phones Li-ion cell from it's temp sensing circuit and soldered wires to the output, where I charge the 18650's from. So the phone itself becomes the smart charger.
    Last edited by ZacAttack!; 06-24-2009 at 12:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacAttack!
    Call the Fire Brigade!
    I should have been clearer. I've removed the Li-ion cell from it's temp sensing circuit and soldered wires to the output, where I charge the 18650's from. So the phone itself becomes the smart charger.
    That makes sense, I guess I will hold off on calling 911 I mis-read your original post and was thinking it was just the car charger being used.

ElPrez, I recall seeing some chargers at DX that take 12v and when I just checked, saw that they have a new one (SoShine SC-S1). The DSD charger also has a post saying that it can be used with a car adapter, but needs 5v. Word of warning on the SoShine SC-S1 though, I bought a different one from SoShine and it almost caught on fire the first time I plugged it in, so its a good idea to charge in an ammo can or something similar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ill look in2 dx when i get back from my trip but i cant order now as itll never get here before i leave. doh! wish id have thought a bit sooner
    im gonna go with the sneakily chargin my batteries in restaurants and pubs lol, just need a continental adapter!
    Ive just checked how my bikes fit in the van and the fit sideways with millimeters to spare! result probs should have done this earlyer, but its all worked out okay

Members who have read this thread: 0